Show me your large beetles

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
Lets make a large beetle sharing/topic thread. I have wanted large beetles for a while and a few days ago I got my Dysnastes hercules and Phalacrognathus muelleri larva. They are both L1. I would take pictures but that would require me digging them up today and I rather not.

The thread topic doesn't have to focus just on the two I listed. Other rhino and stag beetles are welcome! Share pictures, your favorite beetle(s), how you first got into beetles, ect...

For me, Tarantulas open the door of inverts for me (aside from all ways loving moths). And thus my interest in owning large beetles was bushed. Here is to wishing I don't get addicted like I am with the Ts.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Where'd you get Dysnastes hercules from??? I thought they were illegal in the States??? Did the laws change within the past few years?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A blanket law on almost all beetles because some larvae and adults can do serious damage to plants. The ones mentioned here, no so much because they eat decaying wood which is probably a good thing, they just got thrown in with the bad ones. I remember reading that the huge Goliath beetle was made legal to have in the US but I don't know what the status is today on that.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
A blanket law on almost all beetles because some larvae and adults can do serious damage to plants. The ones mentioned here, no so much because they eat decaying wood which is probably a good thing, they just got thrown in with the bad ones. I remember reading that the huge Goliath beetle was made legal to have in the US but I don't know what the status is today on that.
Goliathus are still legal AFAIK since they were made legal a year or two ago.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Goliathus are still legal AFAIK since they were made legal a year or two ago.
Do you have a link to that? I'd thought they were still illegal, so it'd be interesting to see if that has changed.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Do you have a link to that? I'd thought they were still illegal, so it'd be interesting to see if that has changed.
Not on the fly, but I’m positive there was a thread discussion on here about it, I’ll see if I can dig it up later tonight when I’m home.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Not on the fly, but I’m positive there was a thread discussion on here about it, I’ll see if I can dig it up later tonight when I’m home.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/goliathus-it-has-happened.293849/
;)

I remember losing my mind when I read this. I still don't have any, but one day! As for current species, all I have are 5 Dynastes tityus larvae and a Chrysina gloriosa larva. I'm hoping to get some more Cotinis nitida larvae in the summer though. Nothing of remarkable size though, especially not in comparison to Dynastes hercules

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
Where'd you get Dysnastes hercules from??? I thought they were illegal in the States??? Did the laws change within the past few years?
same for the Phalacrognathus muelleri
A breeder was selling them at a booth in an Expo in my state. So they are fine or the entire Expo was not aware of this being illegal and people who bought them, (like my self) were also not aware.

The Expo was 'Pacific Northwest Reptile and Exotic Animal Show' in Albany OR

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah that was the thread I was referring to I remembered reading but, man it seems like that thread was 3 years old to me for some reason.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Goliathus are still 100% legal, I plan to post some L3 larvae for sale soon. All the other exotics mentioned in this thread are still illegal - unfortunately - no matter where they came from.

Steven Barney
BeetleSource.com

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Goliathus are still 100% legal, I plan to post some L3 larvae for sale soon. All the other exotics mentioned in this thread are still illegal - unfortunately - no matter where they came from.

Steven Barney
BeetleSource.com
M. Sleeperi as well? They are native to the U.S. though.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Exotics" .. from other countries. M.sleeperi is technically not legal either, but if would be the exotics you could actually get in trouble for.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
"Exotics" .. from other countries. M.sleeperi is technically not legal either, but if would be the exotics you could actually get in trouble for.
How are they not legal? Are they like snails in the sense that it's illegal to transport them across state lines or are they banned in certain states? Or are they an invasive species that wasn't originally found in North America?