Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Show me your large beetles

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by AngryMothNoises, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    Lets make a large beetle sharing/topic thread. I have wanted large beetles for a while and a few days ago I got my Dysnastes hercules and Phalacrognathus muelleri larva. They are both L1. I would take pictures but that would require me digging them up today and I rather not.

The thread topic doesn't have to focus just on the two I listed. Other rhino and stag beetles are welcome! Share pictures, your favorite beetle(s), how you first got into beetles, ect...

For me, Tarantulas open the door of inverts for me (aside from all ways loving moths). And thus my interest in owning large beetles was bushed. Here is to wishing I don't get addicted like I am with the Ts.

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Where'd you get Dysnastes hercules from??? I thought they were illegal in the States??? Did the laws change within the past few years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ajohnson5263

Ajohnson5263 Arachnosquire

USA
    same for the Phalacrognathus muelleri

4. spookyvibes

Basically any foreign beetles, right? Because of how invasive they are/can be. I think the only "larger" beetles legal in the U.S. are Dynastes granti and tityus.

5. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

A blanket law on almost all beetles because some larvae and adults can do serious damage to plants. The ones mentioned here, no so much because they eat decaying wood which is probably a good thing, they just got thrown in with the bad ones. I remember reading that the huge Goliath beetle was made legal to have in the US but I don't know what the status is today on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnodemon Active Member

Goliathus are still legal AFAIK since they were made legal a year or two ago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galapoheros

WORD!

8. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron

Dorcus titanus I absolutely love them I am trying to breed them ATM

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Do you have a link to that? I'd thought they were still illegal, so it'd be interesting to see if that has changed.

10. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnodemon Active Member

Not on the fly, but I’m positive there was a thread discussion on here about it, I’ll see if I can dig it up later tonight when I’m home.

11. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/goliathus-it-has-happened.293849/
    ;)

I remember losing my mind when I read this. I still don't have any, but one day! As for current species, all I have are 5 Dynastes tityus larvae and a Chrysina gloriosa larva. I'm hoping to get some more Cotinis nitida larvae in the summer though. Nothing of remarkable size though, especially not in comparison to Dynastes hercules

• Like Like x 3
  12. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Wow, that's incredible!

13. A breeder was selling them at a booth in an Expo in my state. So they are fine or the entire Expo was not aware of this being illegal and people who bought them, (like my self) were also not aware.

The Expo was 'Pacific Northwest Reptile and Exotic Animal Show' in Albany OR

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  14. Galapoheros

Yeah that was the thread I was referring to I remembered reading but, man it seems like that thread was 3 years old to me for some reason.

15. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Can't wait until my 5 grubs mature.
    20180421_001656.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. BeetleExperienc

BeetleExperienc Arachnoknight Old Timer

Goliathus are still 100% legal, I plan to post some L3 larvae for sale soon. All the other exotics mentioned in this thread are still illegal - unfortunately - no matter where they came from.

Steven Barney
    BeetleSource.com

• Love Love x 1
  17. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

M. Sleeperi as well? They are native to the U.S. though.

18. BeetleExperienc

"Exotics" .. from other countries. M.sleeperi is technically not legal either, but if would be the exotics you could actually get in trouble for.

19. BeetleExperienc

..forgot a pic:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. spookyvibes

How are they not legal? Are they like snails in the sense that it's illegal to transport them across state lines or are they banned in certain states? Or are they an invasive species that wasn't originally found in North America?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.