Should you feed slings on a regular basis despite the size of the abdomen?

h55d

Arachnosquire
I read everywhere that you have to feed slings like twice a week, but my GBB baby keeps its fat ass even if I don't feed it for two weeks.

Do spiderlings abdomen stay big unlike adults whatever they eat? Sorry if this is obvious but it's my first sling and I was believing you should feed spiders based on the abdomen size.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Many experienced keepers say that it's nonsense to have a feeding schedule. I feed my slings as often as they will eat. Some are more food aggressive than others (GBB), but in my experience, you can't overfeed a sling. You can go ahead and fatten it up.

My GBB eats like every second or third day (great hunter!) and retreats into the webbing, if not hungry. If it stays in the webbing for more than a week, a molt is imminent. But every T is unique :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Definitely not necessary to continue feedings for a sling when it's looking fit to burst, as long as it has access to water to stay hydrated you can discontinue feeding them until they molt. I'll generally feed as often as they'll take and wait for a molt after they start refusing, but there are some individuals who'll still eat even in heavy premolt.

h55d

Arachnosquire
Ah OK, thanks for the answers!

I thought it could be dangerous for a spider to molt while being too fat. Is it just wrong or does this not apply to slings?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Ah OK, thanks for the answers!

I thought it could be dangerous for a spider to molt while being too fat. Is it just wrong or does this not apply to slings?
Doesn't really apply to slings, since this is the stage where they're putting all that fat into growth when they molt. It's when they start slowing down in growth rates and remain fat after molting that it becomes a problem, causing an obese tarantula prone to abdominal injuries i.e. drag marks/chaffing on the underside of the abdomen from being too heavy and getting dragged on the ground as they walk.

Peachaboo

Arachnopeon
I personally believe you need to cut a sling off after a certain abdomen size. My pokie babys will eat until they are so large, they have trouble climbing. I’ve had a couple times where my pokies would be falling all over the place from their massive abdomen. If they look too big, stop feeding and just wait until next molt.

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
My 1/2" H. sp Colombia looks like a big bloated bumblebee now. Eats like a damn pig for its size.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I always feed based on abdomen size. Unless its a species i see once a month or two. slings of those species require a schedule. i make sure to feed them once or twice a week until they stop eating.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I cut mine off if it's looking like it's going to be a problem. I would say use your best judgment. If it looks like they could get some kind of injury or fall damage I would say cut them off. Mine usually does a pretty good job of cutting themselves off though.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I read everywhere that you have to feed slings like twice a week
You don't have to feed that often if you don't want to, I feed slings of fast growing species under 1" every 3 days but I use smaller prey items because it means I can feed my Ts more often.

Slings can get as fat as they want, they have short moult cycles and put everything into growth so they don't end up suffering from the complications that can occur in larger specimens. I feed mine until they refuse food.

Many experienced keepers say that it's nonsense to have a feeding schedule.
It works for me and my horde but that's me.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
It works for me and my horde but that's me.
True, seems to be keepers preference. I personally just keep track of when they last ate and molted, which comes in handy in cases of extreme irregularities, or if I plan on selling a T and forward the information to the buyer.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
My GBB is so talented, it can eat a cricket and spin a web at the same time. Try doing that sometime!

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I feed my slings once a week and only stop if the sling looks too fat. This is to avoid them from fasting. *looking at my G. porteri sling which haven't eat anything for the a month* and its only less than an inch :shifty:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I feed my slings twice a week. They are growing quickly, there is no doubt. Once they hit 2.5" to 3" I put them into adult enclosures, they go onto the shelves with the other adults and I feed them once a week, once very two weeks...it varies.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont overcomplicate things. Just throw in food twice a week until it stops eating. After it has moulted repeat