Should she have fed it!

Omgkevplayz

Arachnopeon
So I have a pink-toe turantala and it just molted like 4-5 days ago from now and it is my first spider. My mom wanted to feed it but I said no you have to wait about a week because the fangs are kinda soft but my mom wanted to since before it molded it hasent eaten in over a month! But his fangs are a bit soft. Will it be okay!? (I don't know its gender)

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I have a pink-toe turantala and it just molted like 4-5 days ago from now and it is my first spider. My mom wanted to feed it but I said no you have to wait about a week because the fangs are kinda soft but my mom wanted to since before it molded it hasent eaten in over a month! But his fangs are a bit soft. Will it be okay!? (I don't know its gender)
Wait for fangs to be jet black.

Amount of time depends on size, and probably other factors to.

Make sure it has some water. A few drops on its web is best. It won't starve. Better to wait a few extra days.

If you still aren't sure, offer pre-killed prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Feed when fangs are black only, or it may die

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It will be fine.
If there's a feeder in there and you can remove it without disturbing your spider, do so. I've never seen one eat when it wasn't ready. I doubt they do that.

mealworm

Arachnopeon
My B hamorii went a month after molting to eat. They will eat when ready. Jet black fangs!!

Omgkevplayz

Arachnopeon
It will be fine.
If there's a feeder in there and you can remove it without disturbing your spider, do so. I've never seen one eat when it wasn't ready. I doubt they do that.
My B hamorii went a month after molting to eat. They will eat when ready. Jet black fangs!!

We just gave it a cricket and his fangs were never black and we fed him before and he seems fine. And i also think he will eat when ready so it will prob be fine seince i bet they eat when there ready. (Pls dont make-fun of my spelling 😥)

Make sure it has some water. A few drops on its web is best. It won't starve. Better to wait a few extra days.

We already fed it

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
And i also think he will eat when ready so it will prob be fine seince i bet they eat when there ready.
It's true that they will not eat if they know their fangs aren't ready. However, with live prey, it is possible that they will feel threatened, especially if they are still soft after molting, and will attack to defend themselves even if they would not have attacked to eat. That's why pre-killed prey is safer in this situation. There is no threat, so no chance they hurt a fang defending themselves.

Sounds like no harm done this time, and it is a very small risk, but easy to avoid the risk entirely in the future.

Omgkevplayz

Arachnopeon

It's true that they will not eat if they know their fangs aren't ready. However, with live prey, it is possible that they will feel threatened, especially if they are still soft after molting, and will attack to defend themselves even if they would not have attacked to eat. That's why pre-killed prey is safer in this situation. There is no threat, so no chance they hurt a fang defending themselves.

Sounds like no harm done this time, and it is a very small risk, but easy to avoid the risk entirely in the future.

I know my spider is fine now but I just wanted to say in case you did not know. Pink toe tarantulas are apparently scared of dead prey.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I know my spider is fine now but I just wanted to say in case you did not know. Pink toe tarantulas are apparently scared of dead prey.
I don’t think any tarantulas are afraid of dead prey , are you saying they won’t eat it ?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
wait til the teeth blacken. Get your Mom out of the equation until she knows what the heck she is talking about. Tarantula''s go MONTHS without food. I own one that refused food for a YEAR.
She was fine. Your Mom is trying to micromanage (Mom's do that) without having any information. It isn't a dog, or a cat, they don't need to eat often and go on fasts, it's NORMAL.
You aren't being a bad T owner, but feeding a T before its fangs harden is.

they aren't afraid of dead prey. Dead prey is typically a no-no in nature, unless that is the animals niche (Vultures, Ravens). Predators eat live prey because evolution showed that was a healthier choice