should non adults be allowed to keep scolopendrids?

should non adults be allowed to keep scolopendrids

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
Interesting thread...Just wondering what the decision was? Did you sell it to the kid or no?

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd have to say NO, I think how many online sellers could possibly sell Hot stuff to minors though... I myself have had my Paypal account since like 15 and am now 25. The kid works with you, let that be enough until he isn't a minor it's just not worth the risk. I'm constantly worried about how others fare in this hobby. I take precautions beyond being cautious, even with my P. imperators. Some might think it is silly, but know what I've never been stung by my 70+ scorpions and have never even been close to it. I'm not cautious for my sake, I'm cautious for the fragile strand of web that we all balance balance on with a giant pair of scissors just waiting to cut it.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
yes

yes sell it to him. dont exclude him. if hes an enthusiast willing to pay money to his hobby, that shows that he probly knows more than most adults. hes competent enough to take care of it!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
No

Only with the approval of the guardians.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes sell it to him. dont exclude him. if hes an enthusiast willing to pay money to his hobby, that shows that he probly knows more than most adults. hes competent enough to take care of it!
This is not very sound logic. A kid can go buy a rifle because he's interested in them, but that doesn't mean squat.

kevin1995

Arachnopeon
This is not very sound logic. A kid can go buy a rifle because he's interested in them, but that doesn't mean squat.
No matter what, rifle and inverts shouldnt be compared in this thread... rifle can do as much damage to an adult as to a kid.

And as someone mentioned effects on people varies by weight.
A possible solution would be to exclusively sell it to those over certain wieght, height and mental capability.

Seriously, like a junior/ senior student who wants to do a science fair or events of those sorts should be able to, as long as parents supervise.

There are LOTS of other dangers kids are prone to even in their own house, and some are even more dangerous than scolopendrids...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Seriously, like a junior/ senior student who wants to do a science fair or events of those sorts should be able to, as long as parents supervise.
Parents would have to know at least as much as the student in question, and ideally MORE, to be able to pretend to "supervise" this kind of activity... the kinds of peculiarities involved in the hobby are not automatically known by virtue of generic maturity. Likely the student "knows more" about keeping the scolopendrid than the parents, and thus the parents' supervision is rendered moot... it has nothing to do with the maturity of the student, but the ethical and potential legal ramifications in the hobby.

There are LOTS of other dangers kids are prone to even in their own house, and some are even more dangerous than scolopendrids...
What house of horrors did you grow up in?? :) There's a huge difference between a genuine accident and being "prone" to something by virtue of its unencumbered proximity or availability...

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
I was a "non-adult" when I first kept scolopendrids... I never have been bitten. I believe maturity level, and experience plays a part in it. I've met adolescents that are more mature than some adults...

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No matter what, rifle and inverts shouldnt be compared in this thread... rifle can do as much damage to an adult as to a kid.

And as someone mentioned effects on people varies by weight.
A possible solution would be to exclusively sell it to those over certain wieght, height and mental capability.

Sorry if you mistook what I wrote, but I wasn't exactly comparing rifles to scorpions. The person I was quoting was saying that just because a hobbyist is an "enthusiast willing to pay money to his hobby," it shows that he's well informed and even "competent" enough to care for the creature.
I was giving him an example to show it's not sound logic. I could have replaced rifle with drugs or anything else for that matter.

Basically, a person's knowledge and competence should not be measured on whether or not he is able to contribute financially to his hobby.
And Mister Internet nailed it.

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to revive this thread. I think no because just look at how bad the Herp hobby is just because some adults buy a burmese python. Burms are very sweet snakes but just because some people are stupid and have accidents or do not know how to take care of it. I say no, children are stupid. I use to be one, and I was stupid. Only when I got into my mid teens did I start being truly responsible for my animals and researching them before I bought them. No matter how mature a child is, they are still a child.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Superpede , this thread is a good one . Thats like asking if its a good idea to sell a H. mac or S. calceatum to me . If I asked a tarantula breeder or someone on these boards , yup , im pretty sure they would sell one to me . Like Paul form petcenterusa.net or Micahel from tarantulas.com , they knew I was a kid , and they sold to me .

Crawly

Arachnopeon
No.

Although many a youth are quite knowledgeable of the animals and very well capable of keeping them alive and healthy, it is too risky to the kids health, your well being, and the hobby itself. I wouldn't do it, even if their parents supported the idea of getting one because parents make bad decisions too. If I were to sell one to a kid and then later hear about him or her being hospitalized because of a "accident," I wouldn't be able to forgive myself, as it would be just as much my fault as the parents for allowing a child to have something dangerous. Plus there could be legal ramifications (not positive on that though).

Plus, it could have negative implications on the hobby itself. Look at how the reptile community has suffered because dealers, and parents alike were allowing kids to purchase and keep deadly animals. After so many hospitalizations, the hobby will grab the attention of people who will want it banned. Tarantula and scorpion keepers will be put under the same scrutiny as well.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
No.

Although many a youth are quite knowledgeable of the animals and very well capable of keeping them alive and healthy, it is too risky to the kids health, your well being, and the hobby itself. I wouldn't do it, even if their parents supported the idea of getting one because parents make bad decisions too. If I were to sell one to a kid and then later hear about him or her being hospitalized because of a "accident," I wouldn't be able to forgive myself, as it would be just as much my fault as the parents for allowing a child to have something dangerous. Plus there could be legal ramifications (not positive on that though).

Plus, it could have negative implications on the hobby itself. Look at how the reptile community has suffered because dealers, and parents alike were allowing kids to purchase and keep deadly animals. After so many hospitalizations, the hobby will grab the attention of people who will want it banned. Tarantula and scorpion keepers will be put under the same scrutiny as well.
im sorry but that just seems silly. im thirteen and have two scolos. it definitely depends on the person. if the kid wants it so that he/she can see it eat mice or put it in their friends' beds, then the answer is no. i spent about a year wanting a scolo and now that i have a couple, i respect them and would be crushed if they were taken from me because they could hurt me. i also have an obt, my most dangerous spider. you could choose to not sell me stairs or something because i *could* fall and be hospitalized. window salesmen could not install windows into households with children because they *could* fall out. my point is, you cant live life worrying about what could happen, and just be careful and respect the animals.

Dan

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
im sorry but that just seems silly. im thirteen and have two scolos. it definitely depends on the person. if the kid wants it so that he/she can see it eat mice or put it in their friends' beds, then the answer is no. i spent about a year wanting a scolo and now that i have a couple, i respect them and would be crushed if they were taken from me because they could hurt me. i also have an obt, my most dangerous spider. you could choose to not sell me stairs or something because i *could* fall and be hospitalized. window salesmen could not install windows into households with children because they *could* fall out. my point is, you cant live life worrying about what could happen, and just be careful and respect the animals.

Dan
Thought this was ironic...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1782732#post1782732

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
you cant live life worrying about what could happen
As a parent...yes you can and do worry about your children, If you can avoid a potential hazard for your child you will. My children would not be allowed to have an OBT, a g. rosea or maybe an emp. scorp but nothing that i felt was too much for them. a little brains goes a long way, think about things that could go wrong and fix what you can before it has the oportunity to cause harm. That was an immature comment to make proving the point about not letting "children" have scolopendrids.