Should I take the risk?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I found somebody on Instagram who is selling African giant millipedes. However, he is in Russia. He says that the parcel takes about a week to reach the United States. He also mentions that it is about -5 degrees Celsius where he lives. If provided heat packs, do you think the millipede will arrive to the United States alive?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The risk is not only a DOA, man (quite frankly, IMO no. This isn't the best time of the year for shipping, aside for short distance or fast as hell 24 hours couriers) but you need to take in consideration the 'brown boxing' part, without the import permits.

I do realize that this last is an issue where someone, since enter ethic and else, can even say: "F-Word to that, I don't give a damn about" and I understand, lol :-s

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That definitely breaks laws and is a serious crime. Known in the hobby as "brown boxing". Don't do it, as Chris said, it's very illegal.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway, leaving the 'brown boxing' slightly important detail out for a moment (let's assume, just for talking, that is 100% legal) seriously from Russia, with this cold... a week, he said? Uhm... I highly doubt, delay and issues are always behind the corner. I say 8 to 10 days. Definitely too much.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Without even taking into account the legality of it no you shouldn't risk it. These are living animals. The word risk should never come into the equation.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
As far as millipedes go too, I don't think there's any way of legally importing them into the US as a private citizen, considering the importation of millipedes has been banned. That's the reason why AGBs are so expensive and hard to find now.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
As far as millipedes go too, I don't think there's any way of legally importing them into the US as a private citizen, considering the importation of millipedes has been banned. That's the reason why AGBs are so expensive and hard to find now.
At least they are available at all in the U.S.! So many beautiful millipedes are not. :( Do you have any idea why the importation of millipedes has been banned? I may not have used the best search terms but I could not find out on Google. It does not make sense to me because 1) those species that can spread around the world have and will through the importation of other goods and 2) they are relatively or even completely harmless since they are detrivores and thus not agricultural pests or likely to upset ecology even if they can survive here.

I found somebody on Instagram who is selling African giant millipedes. However, he is in Russia. He says that the parcel takes about a week to reach the United States. He also mentions that it is about -5 degrees Celsius where he lives. If provided heat packs, do you think the millipede will arrive to the United States alive?
As others have said, WAY too cold for the millipedes and why take these risks for millipedes that are available in the States?

Just to clarify, I agree with @basin79. We should always be responsible with how and when we ship living animals to minimize risks to their health. (Or I suppose that I slightly disagree in that there are inherent risks involved in shipping, so they are in the equation, but should be minimized. Semantics, perhaps -- I think the point is the same.)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Just say NO!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
At least they are available at all in the U.S.! So many beautiful millipedes are not. :( Do you have any idea why the importation of millipedes has been banned? I may not have used the best search terms but I could not find out on Google. It does not make sense to me because 1) those species that can spread around the world have and will through the importation of other goods and 2) they are relatively or even completely harmless since they are detrivores and thus not agricultural pests or likely to upset ecology even if they can survive here.

As others have said, WAY too cold for the millipedes and why take these risks for millipedes that are available in the States?

Just to clarify, I agree with @basin79. We should always be responsible with how and when we ship living animals to minimize risks to their health. (Or I suppose that I slightly disagree in that there are inherent risks involved in shipping, so they are in the equation, but should be minimized. Semantics, perhaps -- I think the point is the same.)
I was under the understanding that AGBs were banned because the American Cotton Council believes the mites they carry are a threat to cotton crops. There is a 1000 page document I once found but could not find the reference to that mite in particular. Also missing is the proof that mite would damage any crop. I think we have been duped by our gov't once again.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I was under the understanding that AGBs were banned because the American Cotton Council believes the mites they carry are a threat to cotton crops. There is a 1000 page document I once found but could not find the reference to that mite in particular. Also missing is the proof that mite would damage any crop. I think we have been duped by our gov't once again.
Yeah, typical of our government making laws that are senseless and/or do more harm than good. :sour: And even if the AGBs' mites WERE a problem, what about all the other species of millipede??? Why ban them??? Oh, that's right, why bother with facts and just blanket-ban everything. :banghead:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, typical of our government making laws that are senseless and/or do more harm than good. :sour: And even if the AGBs' mites WERE a problem, what about all the other species of millipede??? Why ban them??? Oh, that's right, why bother with facts and just blanket-ban everything. :banghead:
Lately I'm watching the Africans and chubby like this one, and they seem lovely :)

Maybe I will buy one one day :-s

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It's easier since they can't tell the difference in a mite and a banana. :wideyed:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought you can produce millipedes in captivity without symbiotic mites?
I believe this is quite true, but changing laws banning a millipede that the (general) population thinks is gross and unnecessary would probably be near impossible... :sorry:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I thought you can produce millipedes in captivity without symbiotic mites?
Yes, the mites seem to be insignificant to the millipede's survival but most wild caught specimens have them. Wards apparently removes them; mine had none. Maybe that's part of the agreement with the USDA (along with the education factor). They also came with import papers stating country of origin and instructions to dispose of a deceased animal.