Should I stop?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When do you tell your T no? My zebra is up to 6 cricks per day! It's been like that for days. I mean, food's cheap (so that's not an issue), but I wonder exactly how much she can eat. Her abdomen isn't "round" like in some pics I've seen of Ts, but it's definately plumping. Should I give her all she'll take, or should I slow her down after this batch is gone? I say after because I hate cricks and refuse to keep them longer than necessary.

N.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I say, let her rip. As long as she's eating..:)
Peace,
Gillian

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
I say, let her rip. As long as she's eating..:)
Peace,
Gillian
That's about all she does! As a matter of fact, I'm keeping score LoL I'm curious how much she can eat in the course of a month.

N.

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
My G. Rosea acts that way sometimes ... it's really weird to see how much a t really can eat! I got rather worried when she ate 10 crickets the first two days I had her, she must've been really undernurished (sp?) from the petshop.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Advocatus
My G. Rosea acts that way sometimes ... it's really weird to see how much a t really can eat! I got rather worried when she ate 10 crickets the first two days I had her, she must've been really undernurished (sp?) from the petshop.
I dunno, I think it still might be the heat. The temp in the tank is usually between 80-84 F.

N.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
I dunno, I think it still might be the heat. The temp in the tank is usually between 80-84 F.

N.
I've seen my A. geniculata take out over a dozen crickets at once. She will just run around her terrarium, fanging them one at a time, until she has all of them in a big cricket ball that she works on for the rest of the day! She isn't even full grown yet. It is quite a site to see.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

N.
Yeah, since I started heating my s'lings and juvie, they are eating more, molting more often, and thus growing more.

Jon

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I've seen my A. geniculata take out over a dozen crickets at once. She will just run around her terrarium, fanging them one at a time, until she has all of them in a big cricket ball that she works on for the rest of the day! She isn't even full grown yet. It is quite a site to see.

Jon
Actually, I feed her most of the time. If I get bored I'll just toss cricks in front of her and she'll just keep taking them. Isn't that sick??? Not having anything better to do than watch you pets eat...:8o

N.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
When do you tell your T no? My zebra is up to 6 cricks per day! It's been like that for days. I mean, food's cheap (so that's not an issue), but I wonder exactly how much she can eat. Her abdomen isn't "round" like in some pics I've seen of Ts, but it's definately plumping. Should I give her all she'll take, or should I slow her down after this batch is gone? I say after because I hate cricks and refuse to keep them longer than necessary.

N.
My advice would be to feed her all she will eat. Yes, I know this is like Imelda Marcos advising people to buy shoes, but if people need shoes, then it's good advice! And my experience with Aphonopelma in general (and seemanni in particular) is that they tend to eat hugely for a while, then go on fasts much like G. rosea. They're not one of the species that balloons up like A. geniculata or N. coloratovillosus IME.

Joy

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My advice would be to feed her all she will eat.
Joy, we wouldn't expect you to say anything less! ;P :} =D

It's all good...feed her till her butt sags. My B. albo took out 48 crickets and 2 pinkies in one week. Sir-Mix-A-Lot would be in love if he ever grew 6 more legs.

Marcus

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's the count so far:

(cricks,superworms,pinkies)

Seemanni

1/17-- 2,0,0
1/18-- 4,0,0
1/19-- 6,0,0
1/20-- 6,0,0
1/21-- 3,0,1

Smithi

1/17--2,2,0
1/18--0,3,0
1/19--3,2,0
1/20--2,2,0
1/21--3,0,0

Though, this is the first time I've used pinkies...and that is hardcore nasty. It looked like it had a MF fetus in its mouth. It was a bloody mess. Also, I didn't expect it to be so small...I think if I do that again I'll have to get a small fuzzy mouse. I know that wasn't enough for her!

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Watching them eat is one of the reasons why I decided to expand my collection to a couple dozens. I just can't get enough of watching them hunt and take their preys.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Watching them eat is one of the reasons why I decided to expand my collection to a couple dozens. I just can't get enough of watching them hunt and take their preys.
Actually, I hand feed mine LoL I just tweeze the feeder and drop it right in front of them. Yes, I know, I'm going to spoil them rotten.

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, I hand feed mine LoL I just tweeze the feeder and drop it right in front of them. Yes, I know, I'm going to spoil them rotten.

N.
What's the fun in that, both for you and your T's?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
What's the fun in that, both for you and your T's?
Honestly, it's pure laziness. I'm bored and have no patience to sit for 20 min. and wait for her to find them all. Besides, it's funny to see how many she'll try and carry in her mouth at once LoL

N.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. seemani is a eating machine. Not just crickets, but anything he/she can get the fangs into. It's my daughters favorite one to feed because it always eats!
IS there such a thing as a T overeating? I mean, doesnt nature tell it when it has had enough?
My inclination would be not to stop. Though i DONT claim to be an expert!;)