Should I mist the cage of an b albopilosum?

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
I was wondering whether I should mist/spray the substrate of my b albopilosum. I did mist it to be safe, but tomorrow I am changing the substrate due to mould growth and I'm wondering whether to keep it bone dry, with a water dish or whether I should spray the substrate.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Depends 100% on the size. If it's a sling, then yes. If it's larger, then bone dry is alright (although this species appreciates a small amount of humidity every so often).

For the record, misting isn't the best way to offer humidity. Get yourself a syringe, all drug stores sell them for pretty cheap.

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
Depends 100% on the size. If it's a sling, then yes. If it's larger, then bone dry is alright (although this species appreciates a small amount of humidity every so often).

For the record, misting isn't the best way to offer humidity. Get yourself a syringe, all drug stores sell them for pretty cheap.
She's a juvie at 2 inches, I believe

Sana

Arachnoprince
I would alternate moist corners as @EulersK mentioned. I got stuck on a slightly different part of your OP though. You mentioned changing the substrate due to mold growth. On the rare occasions that I have experienced issues with mold I have removed the offending patch and left the rest of the substrate alone. I would have to have a pretty serious mold issue before I would go as far as changing all of the substrate. Changing the substrate entirely is more stressful for the tarantula so I avoid doing so.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would alternate moist corners as @EulersK mentioned. I got stuck on a slightly different part of your OP though. You mentioned changing the substrate due to mold growth. On the rare occasions that I have experienced issues with mold I have removed the offending patch and left the rest of the substrate alone. I would have to have a pretty serious mold issue before I would go as far as changing all of the substrate. Changing the substrate entirely is more stressful for the tarantula so I avoid doing so.
Great point, I missed that. I actually just rehoused my H. maculata two nights ago because of a severe mold outbreak that I somehow missed. Had I caught it earlier, I could have just plucked out the offending patches and called it good.

cold blood

Staff member
I was wondering whether I should mist/spray the substrate of my b albopilosum. I did mist it to be safe, but tomorrow I am changing the substrate due to mould growth and I'm wondering whether to keep it bone dry, with a water dish or whether I should spray the substrate.
If you're dealing with mold issues, its not just a moisture issue (that's only part), but it also signifies a ventilation issue. Increase ventilation.

At 2", bone dry with a water dish, during times of extreme dryness, like winter, you can occasionally moisten part of the sub...but as said, a mister isn't the best method...save that thing for your plants.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
If you're dealing with mold issues, its not just a moisture issue (that's only part), but it also signifies a ventilation issue. Increase ventilation.

At 2", bone dry with a water dish, during times of extreme dryness, like winter, you can occasionally moisten part of the sub...but as said, a mister isn't the best method...save that thing for your plants.
I resent that.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I overflow the water dish a bit for my two girls - both are a bit bigger than yours is, probably around the 3" mark. I take the hint when they keep wicking the water out of their dish with substrate and sitting in an empty water dish. The majority of their enclosure is filled with dry substrate, though.
Also, I keep a bigger water dish for them than other species their size. Their dish is more than twice the size of the water dish I have in with my B. smithi.

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At that size/maturity i would just provide a water dish over flow it a bit every now and then and make sure it doesn't go empty. This was the first T species i ever owned, and i only misted it as a sling that was too small for a water dish, once it was able to handle a water dish what i mentioned above was all i ever did.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would just keep a water dish and that's it. Especially with Brachypelma sp., they don't like much humidity. Do you have a cage image? Probably just too little ventilation. I kept my roaches in a small plastic box. No air holes, with water and misting. It all molded over, so that's when I really found out what makes a difference. But yeah, at 2" all they need is a hide, food, and some water :D

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I'm also wondering if you have enough ventilation. I overflow once a week in one corner. If she wants she swims in her water dish even now that she's gotten her mature size. Right now she's skulking with one leg cleverly poised on the dish.
As long as you have good ventilation you should be fine. I have never misted my B. albopilosum -- she'd have a tantrum.
Hope you have fun with your hairy kid. Mine's got a goofy personality.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I'm also wondering if you have enough ventilation. I overflow once a week in one corner. If she wants she swims in her water dish even now that she's gotten her mature size. Right now she's skulking with one leg cleverly poised on the dish.
As long as you have good ventilation you should be fine. I have never misted my B. albopilosum -- she'd have a tantrum.
Hope you have fun with your hairy kid. Mine's got a goofy personality.
Seems you have more than a goofy personality, you have a regular Michael Phelps on your hands! :) Lol. Thought only Hystocrates sp. swam, especially in a water dish.

Last edited: