Should I let my T. burrow ?

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was reading in the Tarantula Keepers guide that it is best not put burrowing species of T's in a position were they are able to burrow.It says that if you do you will rarely ever see them again.I have a Aphonopelma Seemanni,should I let it burrow or not?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why would you not want to let a spider live naturally?? Spiders burrow for a reason. IMO it's cruel not to let it burrow. Not to mention the stress it puts the poor spider under! Let it burrow if it wants, it may choose not to. I keep many burrowing species, and i much prefer them underground. They're happy there :)

If you want to see it all the time get a G rosea or something thats a pet brick that'll sit in the open 24/7

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
definetly let it burrow,u want an unhappy stressed out pet that cant do whats natural and will probably die or a happy pet that does what it does in the wild.You will see them,infact i see my seemani quite often out her burrow,you can encourage them to burrow near the tanks side so you can still see them.Just a few well placed bits of wood etc.

stu

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input.I have it set up with fake half log I bought,I buried the log so its up against the glass and I can see into it.I will leave it that way,as the other way seemed rather cruel to me also.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cruel to not let it burrow? You really think so?
I keep my robustums in shallow flat setups with moist substrate and a water dish. They are all 4-5" and never even move a single bit of substrate. Plus I get to see them all the time. They are not stressed. Matter of fact they have all their hairs and surprise me with molts all the time.

I don't agree really. They can be kept out of burrowing setups with no problem. Just like I keep my H. lividum in small or med critter keepers. They treat the whole container like a burrow and I get to see them with no ill effects.

I think in general its the keepers option but they can be kept both ways. And with the species in question they don’t burrow to much as adults anyway. And Ill concede that it is easier to just let them burrow, because keeping them out of the burrowing setups requires a bit more attention but not that much more.
Let the rips begin. :rolleyes:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, thats forcing your opinion on the T's, as pet owners we should try to make it like the wild as much as posible. With obligate burrowers you should at least give them 5" of substrate.

-EDIT- Just because your T is not showing physical signs of stress doesn't mean your not stressing it out. But granted, when T's are stressed they usually kick hairs and stop molting.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, thats forcing your opinion on the T's, as pet owners we should try to make it like the wild as much as posible. With obligate burrowers you should at least give them 5" of substrate.
Forcing my opinion? I said it was the keepers choice. I dont get how that is even close to forcing anything. I think it was just my opinion and thats that. Some will agree some wont.
EDIT- Just because your T is not showing physical signs of stress doesn't mean your not stressing it out. But granted, when T's are stressed they usually kick hairs and stop molting.

And if they are not showing signs of being stressed they are not stressed.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen and heard of T's becoming fatally ill because they were either kept to humid, too dry, on sand etc. and the people didn't even see it coming. When i say forcing your opinion I mean imposing something you want versus something the T needs. If your T is fine and everything's alright then OK end of story.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The P. rufilata that I recently received decided to dig a shallow burrow under the piece of cork bark rather than web above it. It is only 2 inches but different spiders will do different things with the conditions they are given. Just my opinion.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny you say that all my Rufilatas are around 2" and all have miny burrows. {D Sill guys I am sure they will grow out of it some day.

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have "T"s I only see through the bottom glass.
Its enough for me to know they are alive and well.
I think it is important to let them live as natural as possible.
Jason

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well give the T enough substrate to burrow and see what it does? It'll do whats natural to it...

Saying that, all of my burrowers have burrowed except my AF Haplopelma minax. She just lives in her hide and has never burrowed. All my burrowers have opportunity to burrow.
And its not the laziness aspect of it..u still have to do tank maintenance etc just while the spids are in captivity i like to mimic their natural habitat as much as possible

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all my burrowers burrow deep,thats when i know theyre happy.As for the rufilatas,alot of pokies dig and hide under things on the floor when young especially.More than likely will grow outta this or you could try giving it more bark etc with cracks and crevices to hide in.

stu

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My regalis is an obligate burrower its quite amuzing.:?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One of my favorite things about t's is watching the daily progress of their earth moving projects. Right now my L parahybana sling is making major changes to the layout every night. It moved the door, added a living room and built a dirtbike ramp in the backyard all this week! All my terrestrials get deep 'strate and starter borrows near the glass so i can watch them diggin'. I dig it!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 2 A. seemani and neither of them burrow. Both have a hide and use it some. but generally they are very visible. the Juvie often is sitting atop his hide. the adult female sometims is jsut sitting out in the open and sometimes in the hide but still visible

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My regalis is an obligate burrower its quite amuzing.:?
Most young arboreals burrow :)

All of my arboreals have burrowed when tiny so far..

P. regalis
P. ornata
Ps. pulcher
Ps. cambrigei
H. maculata
S. calceatum..

My Psalmopoeus cambridgei is about 3"/4" now and it still burrows lol

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My regalis is 4.5" and has a tube web under a log/branch in her home. Acctually shes more like a trapdoor spider because if anything walks by she goes for it. :confused: :) :?

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will also have to say I enjoy watching them dig. Even if I dont see them often I would rather they feel safe and secure. It's amazing how much soil they can move in a short time.