Should I get one?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
So... Local exotic pet shop is selling a "Indian Ornamental" sling, or Poecilotheria regalis according to google...
I've never owned an oldworld before... But I do like arboreals o.o
I hear these are some of the most venomous tarantulas in the world. Not sure if that is true but it is kind of exciting... and concerning...

What do you guys thing. Does anybody own one?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
P.regalis is the latin name for this species. And yes, I have kept several over the years...absolutely gorgeous spiders. They are fast and skittish, but not very defensive IME.

What species have you worked with thus far? If you have kept any of the more advanced NW arboreals like Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Pseudoclamoris, then I would say go for it. If not, try one of those genera first.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Edit: it's true and plenty own pokis but u should get some more experience under your belt

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just have a Avic. I also have a Pamphobeteus sp. machala Sling...
I'd wait, regalis are the cheapest/most available Pokies out there, get a Psalmopoeus and raise that, if you can deal with one of those then you're more than ready for a Pokie.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I wouldn't get one since you don't have any OW experience, and i'm guessing you also don't much experience with arboreal's as well. I would wait end get some experience first. If you want any pokie, beware of getting a male. Males to female ratio is insane. I got too many males in past experience. Never got a female pokie before, just 3 male P. regalis, which I gave them all away at penultimate. I have a P. striata right now, which is most likely a male as well. What makes me so surprised is how the ratio of males is so abundant, yet they are in need constantly.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
P.regalis is the latin name for this species. And yes, I have kept several over the years...absolutely gorgeous spiders. They are fast and skittish, but not very defensive IME.

What species have you worked with thus far? If you have kept any of the more advanced NW arboreals like Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Pseudoclamoris, then I would say go for it. If not, try one of those genera first.
It really is a beautiful Tarantula. and I love arboreals.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So... Local exotic pet shop is selling a "Indian Ornamental" sling, or Poecilotheria regalis according to google...
I've never owned an oldworld before... But I do like arboreals o.o
I hear these are some of the most venomous tarantulas in the world. Not sure if that is true but it is kind of exciting... and concerning...

What do you guys thing. Does anybody own one?
Simply based on the information provided in this one post, I am going to say you are not ready for a Pokie.

1. Pet shops are terrible places to get spiders. They are usually way overpriced, in completely inappropriate enclosures, and the shop workers will give you horrible advice and sell you a very inexpensive, very inappropriate set up.

2. The potency of a spider being "exciting" means you are interested in them for the wrong reasons.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Best advice I can give is to wait. Buy something like a Psalmopoeus sp. or 4.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
It really comes down to 'Am I ready for OW's?', which no one can really answer for you. If you feel nervous around your current T's, or think you will be nervous with a OW, don't do it. Some are never going to be "ready", other's (like myself, my 3rd and 4th T's were adult P. regalis and P. vittata) can get them right away with no problems. You really need to take a hard look at yourself and ask "Am doing this because I'm ready or just because I want that spider?"

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Simply based on the information provided in this one post, I am going to say you are not ready for a Pokie.

1. Pet shops are terrible places to get spiders. They are usually way overpriced, in completely inappropriate enclosures, and the shop workers will give you horrible advice and sell you a very inexpensive, very inappropriate set up.

2. The potency of a spider being "exciting" means you are interested in them for the wrong reasons.
1. This pet shop is okay. They keep their Ts far better than most petstores... But yes, they are expensive...

2. YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE! YOUR NOT MY REAL DAD!

Let me change the subject here for a second... What would you conciser a good OW for people who are new to OW. I AM going to pass up this P.regalis Sling for now but I want to know what I should look at when I decide to step up my T game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Let me change the subject here for a second... What would you conciser a good OW for people who are new to OW. I AM going to pass up this P.regalis Sling for now but I want to know what I should look at when I decide to step up my T game.
Psalmopoeus sp. are a good step up to old worlds.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Seldom mentioned as a OW starter but Orphnaecus philippinus would be my choice. From what I've read their venom is supposed to be mild and they aren't really defensive, but they are really fast so would give more of a "OW experience" without the bite danger.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Feistier NW species like Psalmopoeus are a good way to gain experience for OW species, especially if you're interested in Poecilotheria.

As far as first OW species go, good choices are generally terrestrials like Augacephalus ezendami, Ceratogyrus (horned baboons), or Monocentropus balfouri. These species tend to be less defensive and less prone to bolting.

I went with a 4" female Ceratogyrus marshalli as my first, because I saw her for a reasonable price at a show and knew the species was sexually dimorphic. (Only female marshalli have horns.) Plus the horn is pretty cool in its own right.

I'm also raising a Augacephalus ezendami sling.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
2. YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE! YOUR NOT MY REAL DAD!
*You're, honey. Now have you cleaned your room today? :p

As far as first OW species go, good choices are generally terrestrials like Augacephalus ezendami, Ceratogyrus (horned baboons), or Monocentropus balfouri. These species tend to be less defensive and less prone to bolting.
These are what I was going to suggest!

I never see my M. balfouri or C. marshalli girl... but my A. ezendami, C. darlingi, and C. sanderi are always visible. They are all very calm, but with great feeding responses.

korlash091

Arachnosquire
as others have said, you should try Psalmopoeus, they're are great, i just got a juvenile P. victori, its so beautiful, always out and it is an eating machine.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
The potency of a spider being "exciting" means you are interested in them for the wrong reasons.
Real talk for a second. It is Exciting. But in the same way that Tarantulas are unique or fascinating.
Like how Bird eaters get so big and eat so much...
Or how OBTs are so quick and aggressive...
Or A.Versicolor's exotic colors...
Or even the M.balfouri community works together to build a web castle...

Its one of those points of interest.
And defiantly worth mentioning if you are showing your tarantulas to guests.

I realize when I said that it made me sound like some cartoon villain who wanted poisonous spiders for EEEEVIIIIIL!

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
My rule of thumb is: If you have to ask if you’re ready, then you probably aren’t

Tarantulas aren’t something you want to be second guessing yourself while working with. You need composure when dealing with species as fast and potent as these