Should I get a Honduran Curly Hair or a Mexican Red Knee?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I had my mind set on the smithi for awhile, but discovered the albopilosum a little while ago. They both seem to be great tarantulas, but after running their stats against each other, I'm really torn.
  • They both live 30 years
  • They are the same size
  • Their price isn't a problem at all
My debate comes in because the smithi is apparently a hair-kicker to the max. I've seen them kick hairs when someone holds their hand above them. This would make me go for the albopilosum, but the smithi looks so much more awesome. The albopilosum is a dull brown color, not really very appealing. So, tarantula experts, I ask you: which tarantula is more fun, and a better overall experience?

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I had my mind set on the Red Knee for awhile, but discovered the Curly Hair a little while ago. They both seem to be great tarantulas, but after running their stats against each other, I'm really torn.
  • They both live 30 years
  • They are the same size
  • Their price isn't a problem at all
My debate comes in because the Red Knee is apparently a hair-kicker to the max. I've seen them kick hairs when someone holds their hand above them. This would make me go for the Curly Hair, but the Red Knee looks so much more awesome. The Curly Hair is a dull brown color, not really very appealing. So, tarantula experts, I ask you: which tarantula is more fun, and a better overall experience?
then get both!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Red knee... that's B. smithi, correct? Try to use scientific names, there are a few tarantulas that could dawn the name "red knee". So we're talking about B. smithi and B. albopilosum (the "curly hair").

You're not wrong in saying that B. smithi is a kicker! The severity of their setae varies from person to person. I don't think it's that bad, but others have gotten rid of their spiders because of it. Note that B. albopilosum has the ability to kick as well, and their setae are about as bad as the B. smithi's in my opinion. Also remember that all tarantulas have individual characteristics - sure, they'll probably follow their species' generalities, but not always. Albo's are known to be pretty docile, but I have a girl that is quite skittish.

Between the two, expect that the B. smithi will be more active* than the B. albopilosum. So, if that's what you're looking for, then go that way. If you want to be able to handle every so often, then a B. albopilosum will be your best bet.

*Note: An "active" Brachypelma is still a pet rock compared to most pets

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two male B. smithi and they never kick hairs. I also have a juvie female B. albopilosum and she never kicks hairs. I disagree with the idea that the albo is dull brown. My little lady is gorgeous! My B. smithi are both pet rocks, but my albo is more active. It's a trade off. Why not both if money is not an issue?
DSCF1575.JPG

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a Red Knee (B. smithi) and she has never kicked hairs at me, nor does she have any ugly bald spots on her abdomen. (Unlike my GBB's, who will kick hairs if I even look at them too closely!) She's a little skittish if I actually reach into her enclosure for anything, but not so much so that I couldn't pick her up if I wanted to. (I don't - I have other T's that are more amenable to handling on the rare occasions that I bring them out for classroom demonstrations.)

I also have a Curly Hair (B. albopilosum) and she's got a similar temperament. I've had the Curly Hair since she was a sling (she was my very first tarantula). She used to be a real sweetheart and I did handle her occasionally, but once she matured she became a bit more uncooperative. I've named her "Surly Temple" because she has occasionally given me a threat posture or kicked hairs - but not often. Mostly she just retreats into her hide and waits for me to go away.

If you prefer the look of the Red Knee, I'd say go for it. Personally, I think the Curly Hair is beautiful, too - but it doesn't have the bright coloration of the smithi, if that's what you're looking for.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Red knee... that's B. smithi, correct? Try to use scientific names, there are a few tarantulas that could dawn the name "red knee". So we're talking about B. smithi and B. albopilosum (the "curly hair").

You're not wrong in saying that B. smithi is a kicker! The severity of their setae varies from person to person. I don't think it's that bad, but others have gotten rid of their spiders because of it. Note that B. albopilosum has the ability to kick as well, and their setae are about as bad as the B. smithi's in my opinion. Also remember that all tarantulas have individual characteristics - sure, they'll probably follow their species' generalities, but not always. Albo's are known to be pretty docile, but I have a girl that is quite skittish.

Between the two, expect that the B. smithi will be more active* than the B. albopilosum. So, if that's what you're looking for, then go that way. If you want to be able to handle every so often, then a B. albopilosum will be your best bet.

*Note: An "active" Brachypelma is still a pet rock compared to most pets
Thanks for the advice. That'll just be a quick edit to change the names. And I was already aware of the pet rock thing. I've wanted a tarantula for most of my life, and I know they don't like to do anything. Mammals are very wiry and have a physiology that causes them to move around constantly. Arthropods are able to hold completely still for huge amounts of time. But still, it's a friggin TARANTULA. That makes it awesome.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I have two male B. smithi and they never kick hairs. I also have a juvie female B. albopilosum and she never kicks hairs. I disagree with the idea that the albo is dull brown. My little lady is gorgeous! My B. smithi are both pet rocks, but my albo is more active. It's a trade off. Why not both if money is not an issue?
View attachment 224296
I don't think i want two tarantulas. Maybe after awhile of having one, i might get a male to breed mine, and im thinking about getting a pair of emperor scorpions, but i dont want to be a tarantula collector.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the advice. That'll just be a quick edit to change the names. And I was already aware of the pet rock thing. I've wanted a tarantula for most of my life, and I know they don't like to do anything. Mammals are very wiry and have a physiology that causes them to move around constantly. Arthropods are able to hold completely still for huge amounts of time. But still, it's a friggin TARANTULA. That makes it awesome.
mammals also have very different metabolism and anatomy than arthropods, there is almost no point comparing those 2

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think i want two tarantulas. Maybe after awhile of having one, i might get a male to breed mine, and im thinking about getting a pair of emperor scorpions, but i dont want to be a tarantula collector.
You say that now, but just wait...

I got one five years ago and now I have around 140.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I mean, you really can't go wrong with any Brachypelma. I'm personally a huge fan of A. chalcodes and A. seemanni, maybe look at those two as well.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You will. This hobby is strangely addicting, and as you can see, we kind of enable each other. It's like AA, if AA had beer.
Its always been a mystery to me as to why people constantly bring up the pet rock thing. Like "hey, keep in mind, theyre really boring pets cuz they dont move". Its like people dont WANT others to get into the hobby. I understand its a warning that maybe people dont know what theyre getting into, but the way they say it makes me think they regret being in the hobby as well.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Its always been a mystery to me as to why people constantly bring up the pet rock thing. Like "hey, keep in mind, theyre really boring pets cuz they dont move". Its like people dont WANT others to get into the hobby. I understand its a warning that maybe people dont know what theyre getting into, but the way they say it makes me think they regret being in the hobby as well.
Because we get so many questions on here (and other social media) about why someone's tarantula doesn't move, or if the tarantula needs exercise, or any number of other questions that show a serious lack of understanding about tarantulas.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm going to quote this back to you in a year when you have 50 ;)
bud
i probably still cant get a tarantula for a few more years. im in college. my mom doesnt want me to have one. as long as i have her breathing down my neck, if i DO manage to convince her to let me get one,
there
is
no
POSSIBLE
way
she will let me have two, let alone 50

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Honestly, you're literally the first person I've seen on here that is prepared for the pet rock aspect. For most people, it's a turnoff. Everyone wants an active pet, not one that will sit in the same spot for days at a time. We just like to warn people, you know? It's kind of like warning people that certain breeds of dog will need a lot of attention. Myself, I actually enjoy a good pet rock. Work and school keeps me busy, so it's nice to have pets that don't need me around.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I don't have a B albo. I have 2 B smithi's. Neither smithi is a hair kicker. One of them I bought from a guy that said she was a bad hair kicker. She has never kicked a hair at me. IMO, the B smithi is a better looking tarantula. The B smithi females live much longer when everything goes right. The albo won't live 30 years, more like 10-15. The smithi costs more too.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I love the crazy hair on the B.albo's you can't look at one without cracking a smile.. They eat and grow like monsters specially in the first year..