Should I feel guilty?

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Should I feel guilty for cheering my T's on when they take down prey... Kinda feels like I'm cheering for a sport team... that eats the other team.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I think it's interesting where people draw the line for feeling sorry, I read a thread last month where someone was being admonished for having the idea of breeding scorpions for feeding purposes. Everyone seems fine with crickets and mealworms though. There's some interesting philosophy there.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Kinda feels like I'm cheering for a sport team... that eats the other team.
If sports where like this I’d watch more, especially if they ate some of the commentators.

I’m more like the bad soccer mom/dad in the stands yelling at the feeder to get back in the game and grow a pair. Slightly less annoying voice though.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
If it’s a pet insect or a mouse then it messed up but if it’s a cricket or a worm that was meant to be feeders, then no. You shouldn’t be trying to fight them or anything but if it’s an animal that needs insects, it’s fine.

Just don’t be like people that fight the rhino and stag beetles

Last edited by a moderator:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Should I feel guilty for cheering my T's on when they take down prey... Kinda feels like I'm cheering for a sport team... that eats the other team.
Rather, you should feel guilty about asking such questions! If your own behavior worries you: see a doctor or change your hobby!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rather, you should feel guilty about asking such questions! If your own behavior worries you: see a doctor or change your hobby!
There are numerous people who always ask if they have to feed live- they need to own plants instead.

The worst offenders are the ones who think Ts should be vegetarians in captivity.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Love it!!!! I have so many Ts that use roaches as foot rests for over a week, like my Chaco does. :rolleyes:

You've gotta be making this up
I’m not. In fact many years ago had one person who insisted we should make pre-made food cubes for them as a product, just throw them in like fish food.

There’s a lot of ignorance (that’s OK- we can educate), there’s a lot of willfull stupidity too.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I’m not. In fact many years ago had one person who insisted we should make pre-made food cubes for them as a product, just throw them in like fish food.
Like cricket/feeder gel food...wow. You can only educate people so much, cases like this might be a lost cause, lol.

Unrelated but I've been thinking about feeding my snakes sushi rolls.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like cricket/feeder gel food...wow. You can only educate people so much, cases like this might be a lost cause, lol.

Unrelated but I've been thinking about feeding my snakes sushi rolls.
Some people are stupid.

There was or still is a snake product that is basically a sausage :rolleyes:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
There are numerous people who always ask if they have to feed live- they need to own plants instead.

The worst offenders are the ones who think Ts should be vegetarians in captivity.
Gluten and fructose free is also important!!!!
:rofl:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No. Animals need to eat, and tarantulas often won't eat if their prey isn't alive (with the exception of slings that often scavenge, etc.). It's the circle of life. Sure, you don't want to torture something needlessly, but every animal has to eat.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I've read (probably on Reddit) a post where a T owner became Buddhist and decided to feed their Ts only prey that died of natural causes. From what I remember the OP posted both in a T subreddit and in a Buddhist sub, neither community was very impressed, but it was an entertaining read.