Should I feed my T this Five-Spotted Hawk Moth?

hisss

Arachnopeon
I have just discovered a spooky moth in a big deli cup where I used to keep some hornworms. The larva must have burrowed into the substrate and that explains why one of them disappeared. Duh. The rest were fed to my big GBB Great Big Barbara because she loves them. So, this "hornworm moth", can I feed it to my T? Any danger? It's quite an impressive looking moth. But my Barbara should make a quick dinner out of it, unless I am overlooking something.

IMG_0540.jpeg

I did search around a bit, but was surprised to find no prior posts about it.

As a follow up, if I don't feed it to my T, what on earth do I do with this moth?? :plot:

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter

And a picture of my Barb for good measure
IMG_0374.jpeg

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
You could save this adult, wait for other worms to go through a metamorphysis and breed hornworms yourself.
Im assuming this moth by itself has very little nutrition to the T.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I doubt the adult will live long enough. If you're sure it's definetly a metamorphosed hornworm, go ahead and feed it. A litte variety can never hurt.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
The real question is: Do I possibly drag something into my enclosure that I don't want there? As a rule, the animals are "clean", but there are also risks. I had a Trichonephila free in the room last year. A fly was probably on a poison trap and disposed the spider at the same time (it was poisend after eating the fly). In principle, feeding is not a problem, but you shouldn't cry later.

Edit: sorry, I thought this creature was wc... didn´r read enough:anxious:

hisss

Arachnopeon
Yeah I figure the moth should be safe, since it came from a captive feeder hornworm.
I dunno, for some reason I feel weird feeding this moth to Barbara, but, there's no reason for that, so I'll probably do it later today.
Or maybe I have a new pet moth? :smirk:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I would keep the moth as a pet just because it looks nice. Moths are pretty cool in their own right.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I vote keep the moth.. 😇 ..On the other hand.. 😈 ..it will die before being able breed unless you find a mature adult moth of the opposite sex. In that case you’ll need to do some serious leg work.

Barbara says “It will kill.”

cold blood

Staff member
Feed it...nothing gets a better feeding response than something with beating wings. I like to snip one wing so it doesnt fly well.

hisss

Arachnopeon
Done. It was quite the dramatic scene with the wing flapping and all, but the T attacked it without hesitation and is now feasting on it. Thanks for all the advice spider fam!