Should I feed it?

Heroquetarro10

Arachnopeon
i have a Chilean rose hair tarantula (female). I have also found the lizard/gecko in my backyard. Should I feed it to her or is it too risky? (I.e. Parasites, bacteria, not worried otherwise bc lizard is very small compared to tarantula)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Why would you feed a T anything other than feeders? Crickets and dubia's are bred to feed inverts, why risk it with an animal carrying all sorts of unknown hazards?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wild caught food could have been exposed to pesticides or could be sick etc. Too many risks, stick to normal bought feeders

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I wouldn't. Not just because there will be parasites present, but the lizard could do some damage as well. Just make it easy on yourself and feed them crickets, roaches, supers, etc.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you can buy green anoles at most pet stores, they make better pets but ive heard of some people feeding their Ts them as a treat.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just don't get it. With the cost of feeders what they are, why do people want to feed wild caught prey? Unless you have a very large collection, crickets are a negligible cost.

you can buy green anoles at most pet stores, they make better pets but ive heard of some people feeding their Ts them as a treat.
True, but good God, the smell. No thank you, I'll stick to feeding inverts.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I just don't get it. With the cost of feeders what they are, why do people want to feed wild caught prey? Unless you have a very large collection, crickets are a negligible cost.

Cricket are negligible when you have a large collection too; I get mine for $17.50/thousand. When you breed your spiders, the slings you sell cover the cost of your feeders, so you're really getting them for free. There's a point at which the bigger your collection, the less it costs, until the entire thing is free, including the spiders.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Cricket are negligible when you have a large collection too; I get mine for $17.50/thousand. When you breed your spiders, the slings you sell cover the cost of your feeders, so you're really getting them for free. There's a point at which the bigger your collection, the less it costs, until the entire thing is free, including the spiders.
looks like there's someone else disagreeing any post of yours due to an argument that was had a bit ago. :rolleyes:

Squidsalad

Arachnopeon
I think he was referring to the stink of a rotten lizard bolus:vomit:
My advice: Ew. no no no don't feed your tarantula a lizard. I DID feed my Lasiodora sp. a lizard, but that was one special occasion and it was a favor to me, I'm never doing it again for multiple reasons.

A lizard bolus will make your cage smell like dead animal. It looks like a little black slime covered lizard skeleton. It wasn't worth it, but I thanked her for the favor.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with the pesticide concern.

I also can't imagine what a lizard bolus must smell like... I have a tarantula or two that don't like to finish their food and 'hold onto it" as well... not worth the risk...

looks like there's someone else disagreeing any post of yours due to an argument that was had a bit ago. :rolleyes:
A new addition to his fan club. I'd venture to say the majority of his "disagree" or "dislike" ratings come from only a handful of people that have a vendetta against the big, bad Poec54. :troll: