Should I be Worried? Intruder found

Elliott

Arachnopeon
I found a potential isopod in my tarantula enclosure. This is the first time anything like this has happened. I have an exoterra terrestrial wide enclosure for an adult female t.albo. A year ago I put a tiny cactus in a plant pot in there, that’s it as far as live plants. I found this little isopod thing on the edge of the water dish this morning but have never had this happen. The only change I’ve made was I gave her a horn worm for the first time a few days ago. I didn’t notice if the hornworm could have been holding this isopod or anything like that. Should I be worried about this? I imagine not but I just want to be sure. Thank you to who ever reads or responds.

Attachments

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
What species is the T? Considering you have a succulent in there I’d assume it is a desert or arid species. I would check for others and let the substrate dry out completely. If there are any you missed they’ll likely die when the enclosure is dried out. It did probably come in on the plant though, and I’m not sure what kind of isopod this is but typically they’re harmless. Sometimes people put them in enclosures as a clean up crew anyway. If someone could identify the iso we could get a better idea of weather it’s harmful or not.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Im going to second this make sure there are no more of thhem. Unknown non-introduced critters are no good, you have no idea if you have a colony in there or not now. For me if it was my enclsure and I found an invertebrate I did not introduce, I would re-hhouse and replace the sub, to make sure everyting is out, thats just me thhoughh. Just know you now have a risk to a molting tarantula if you do nothing.

Elliott

Arachnopeon
Thank you to everyone who responded, I appreciate all of the tips. I’ll further inspect and try to figure out what my next steps are based on my findings.

What species is the T? Considering you have a succulent in there I’d assume it is a desert or arid species. I would check for others and let the substrate dry out completely. If there are any you missed they’ll likely die when the enclosure is dried out. It did probably come in on the plant though, and I’m not sure what kind of isopod this is but typically they’re harmless. Sometimes people put them in enclosures as a clean up crew anyway. If someone could identify the iso we could get a better idea of weather it’s harmful or not.
I have an adult female t.albo in there.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Thank you to everyone who responded, I appreciate all of the tips. I’ll further inspect and try to figure out what my next steps are based on my findings.
I’m sure someone in the non arachnids section of the boards (I forget what it’s called) will be able to identify the isopod species. That would help to determine weather it’s a danger.

I have an adult female t.albo in there.
Then yes it should be perfectly safe to dry out. You could just as easily move it, clean out the enclosure, and replace it if you don’t have an extra enclosure. Some of us always have extras but I understand if you don’t have many Ts there isn’t much reason to.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It's a danger, any isopod can and will chew on a molting isopod when they're vulnerable.

They definitely aren't, I've seen threads on here about an experienced keeper getting their T killed by isopods.
Many people keep dwarf white isopods in enclosures with moisture dependent species. It’s also recommended sometimes to add them if you’re having a mite population in your collection, as they can’t compete with the isos for the food source. So thats not necessarily true. People also very commonly keep isopods in with tropical scorpions, for years, with no issues. They molt too. My biggest concern with these particular isopods in this enclosure would be pesticides more than them eating the T.

If isopods kill Ts and scorps, there would be none in any tropical environments in the wild.

If it’s a big isopod with a lot in there, possible. If it’s small and dependent on species, probably unlikely. Like I said earlier it is better to clean out the enclosure, but let’s not make it out like all isopods are dangerous and will eat your tarantula that’s simply not true.

Last edited:

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Many people keep dwarf white isopods in enclosures with moisture dependent species. It’s also recommended sometimes to add them if you’re having a mite population in your collection, as they can’t compete with the isos for the food source. So thats not necessarily true. People also very commonly keep isopods in with tropical scorpions, for years, with no issues. They molt too. My biggest concern with these particular isopods in this enclosure would be pesticides more than them eating the T.

If isopods kill Ts and scorps, there would be none in any tropical environments in the wild.
While the dwarf white isopod statement is true, they can still be a danger. People are much better off using springtails to compete with mites for food.

Just because it’s successful for one, doesn’t mean it’s successful for all. Isopods eating a scorpion can and will happen with many species of protein hungry isopods.

Very, very untrue. It’s not like isopods will purposefully seek out a molting invertebrate to eat. Some stumble across them and take the opportunity. Also there are billions, BILLIONS, of tarantulas and scorpions. The probability of isopods wiping out tropical tarantulas and scorpions when they so rarely come across a molting one is preposterously unlikely.

Huh, that could be true. Someone once told me isos are safe clean up crews for Ts but apparently not
Definitely not. Don’t believe everything you’re told without double checking on the boards with others ;)

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron

Dwarf whites are very small and I don't think they could cause as much damage. Some people keep them together but it isn't a problem until it is. In the wild the two species aren't kept in a confined area and the isopods will typically find a better food source. The arachnids will be able to escape and find better areas to hide and the isopods won't likely come across the arachnid molting. If you want a good cleanup crew I recommend springtails. They're prolific, they're easy to keep the population in check, and they can't hurt the arachnid.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
While the dwarf white isopod statement is true, they can still be a danger. People are much better off using springtails to compete with mites for food.

Just because it’s successful for one, doesn’t mean it’s successful for all. Isopods eating a scorpion can and will happen with many species of protein hungry isopods.

Very, very untrue. It’s not like isopods will purposefully seek out a molting invertebrate to eat. Some stumble across them and take the opportunity. Also there are billions, BILLIONS, of tarantulas and scorpions. The probability of isopods wiping out tropical tarantulas and scorpions when they so rarely come across a molting one is preposterously unlikely.
I’m sure isopod populations outnumber Ts and scorps by a good amount. If it’s a large isopod with a large population and no other food source yes it’s possible. But that’s why when people keep isopods in their scorp or T enclosures, the provide the protein and nutrients they need. They’re not all dangerous. Not saying this one isn’t dangerous, it could be, but the success rate is pretty high with properly kept enclosures containing isopods. Basically saying this for clarification so people don’t start to think isopods are bad and freak out when they remember they have some dwarf whites in their scorp enclosures.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I’m sure isopod populations outnumber Ts and scorps by a good amount. If it’s a large isopod with a large population and no other food source yes it’s possible. But that’s why when people keep isopods in their scorp or T enclosures, the provide the protein and nutrients they need. They’re not all dangerous. Not saying this one isn’t dangerous, it could be, but the success rate is pretty high with properly kept enclosures containing isopods. Basically saying this for clarification so people don’t start to think isopods are bad and freak out when they remember they have some dwarf whites in their scorp enclosures.
Dwarfs are very unlikely to eat molting inverts, that is true, but that’s because of their size I would think. You would be surprised with the threads that pop up with isopods eating molting invertebrates. I lost a T. sinensis early on into me keeping mantids from powder blue isopods knocking it down while molting and eating it.

Not all new keepers know to provide protein for the isopods. It’s best to not promote it so the small chance of it happening doesn’t happen to a new keeper.

I’m not gonna debate this anymore. I know plenty of people would agree with me but we all have opinions. You have yours, I have mine, whatever. (Oh god I sound like viper now)

Dwarf whites are very small and I don't think they could cause as much damage. Some people keep them together but it isn't a problem until it is. In the wild the two species aren't kept in a confined area and the isopods will typically find a better food source. The arachnids will be able to escape and find better areas to hide and the isopods won't likely come across the arachnid molting. If you want a good cleanup crew I recommend springtails. They're prolific, they're easy to keep the population in check, and they can't hurt the arachnid.
HA, we are thinking the exact same way.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Dwarfs are very unlikely to eat molting inverts, that is true, but that’s because of their size I would think. You would be surprised with the threads that pop up with isopods eating molting invertebrates. I lost a T. sinensis early on into me keeping mantids from powder blue isopods knocking it down while molting and eating it.

Not all new keepers know to provide protein for the isopods. It’s best to not promote it so the small chance of it happening doesn’t happen to a new keeper.

I’m not gonna debate this anymore. I know plenty of people would agree with me but we all have opinions. You have yours, I have mine, whatever. (Oh god I sound like viper now)
I wasn’t trying to debate really. It sounds like we’re in agreement. For OP to clean out the enclosure and replace the substrate, but isopods aren’t scorp and T eating demons when kept properly.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I wasn’t trying to debate really. It sounds like we’re in agreement. For OP to clean out the enclosure and replace the substrate, but isopods aren’t scorp and T eating demons when kept properly.
Sorry, got a bit worked up. Not having a great day, lost a rare female mantis to a mismolt.

I can agree with that, but for the safety of the T, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Sorry, got a bit worked up. Not having a great day, lost a rare female mantis to a mismolt.

I can agree with that, but for the safety of the T, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Oh that was today? I’m sorry to hear that. Yes we’re definitely in agreement as I don’t believe any wild critter should be kept with a captive one regardless. Even if someone went out and collected dwarf whites or springtails, pesticides are a thing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Some isopod species are more likely to nibble on a moulting tarantula than others (Porcellio spp. for example) but tbh I wouldn't risk using any species when springtails do the same job and are completely harmless.