Should I be worried? Half Death Curl?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My A. avic. looks like its in a half death curl. Should I be worried? She is about 4 inches. She molted 8 days ago. She ate one large cricket yesterday. I also saw her drink yesterday. I bumped her enclosure and she did move her legs out some. Help!? 20161107_202131.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That unfortunately looks dead. The legs being that far underneath on one side is not good. It s legs spread out on the web may just be holding shape as attached to the web. If they moved slightly when you bumped the cage then it could just be the fluids inside the legs settling. Touch it gently with something soft. If unresponsive then it has passed.

I fear the worst has already happened though. Do you have a photo of full enclosure?

Last edited:

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
That unfortunately looks dead.the legs being that far underneath on one side is not good. It s legs spread out on the web may just be holding shape as attached to the web. Touch it gently with something soft. If unresponsive then it has passed.

I fear the worst has already happened though. Do you have a photo of full enclosure?
That unfortunately looks dead. The legs being that far underneath on one side is not good. It s legs spread out on the web may just be holding shape as attached to the web. If they moved slightly when you bumped the cage then it could just be the fluids inside the legs settling. Touch it gently with something soft. If unresponsive then it has passed.

I put some water drops on her web with a water dropper. She had a feeding response toward the water dropper. When she realized it wasn't food she turned around. I crushed a crickets head and stuck it in her web as well. She hasn't picked up the cricket yet, but she hasn't started to curl her legs again ether. I have her in here. 20161012_201846.jpg 20161107_215104.jpg

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
In all honesty, as much as that looked like a death curl, after seeing the pics you just uploaded, it may have just been doing weird avic things lol. I'd keep a close eye on her just in case though. Enclosure looks fine to me.

Last edited:

horanjp

Arachnosquire
This spider is fine- it just molted, and it's 'stretching out.' If it ate yesterday, then you have little reason for alarm over slights in posture.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My A. avic. looks like its in a half death curl. Should I be worried? She is about 4 inches. She molted 8 days ago. She ate one large cricket yesterday. I also saw her drink yesterday. I bumped her enclosure and she did move her legs out some. Help!? View attachment 224363
I've seen this position before. It is not indicative of a death curl IME. I've had many Avics take to this specific position. Odd looking to us, not for them.

I can't rule anything out, but I'd be interesting in learning if anyone has seen a half death curl that was in fact a true one. I would be surprised if Ts have this given their symmetry.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I've found my G. pulchra sling in a position identical to this after molting. I agree with what others have said, your Avic is just doing weird spider stuff.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
Being that it was just eating and drinking, and the fact that it just molted 8 days ago, it was probably just contorting itself in weird positions like most Ts do after a molt.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm glad to hear it is ok!

I have lost an Avic. avic. years back and wasnt so lucky. It was in almost the exact same position as your when I found it unresponsive.
Seems that yours is just rather lethargic. As would I after a molt.. If I was an invert :p

elysium

Arachnosquire
Agreed with what has been said here, I have seen my avics in this position where they hold on with half their legs while they groom the other half. It almost looks like a half death curl but when I looked closely I could clearly see it grooming the 'curled' legs underneath itself.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I have concluded that she is fine. I caught her this morning doing the same thing on the other side of her body. That was right before she decided to stuff her face. 20161108_120248.jpg