Should I be worried about my A Avicularias tank heat?

Alejandro77567

Arachnopeon
Alright so I’m kinda new to keeping a t and this Avicularia is my first I have a thermometer in her tank and I’ve heard not to worry about humidity if I have a water dish. Anyways her tank is usually above 60 degrees is this ok?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are we talking about a good sized spider or a little one? High 60s to low 70s in winter are appreciated by most species, Avics included. They'll do alright in the lower 60s but might be sluggish and reluctant to eat much since their metabolism is determined largely by temperature.

cold blood

Staff member
Avics should be kept warmer...nights at 68 are fine, but day temps should be 70 or more.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright so I’m kinda new to keeping a t and this Avicularia is my first I have a thermometer in her tank and I’ve heard not to worry about humidity if I have a water dish. Anyways her tank is usually above 60 degrees is this ok?
Too low a temp, 70-73 is a good enough. Chronic 60s, bad.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd keep tarantulas at 70 minimum. A space heater works well to heat up the room they're in, do not use heat mats or tape on the tank it can harm the T.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Chronic 60s, bad
May I ask why? I keep A. Avics and my home is always in the chronic 60's during fall and winter months. They eat very well and are active. I only use a small space heater for a few hours in the evening. Just wondering what's so bad about it?

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The colder temps are stressful to the T. If it was a G. rosea those temps would be o.k. Species specific.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
The colder temps are stressful to the T. If it was a G. rosea those temps would be o.k. Species specific.
I don't know if it's stressful, atleast in my case.. mine all eat aggressively, are active and healthy. Maybe in some cases it would just slow their metabolism. I've never heard of 60's temperatures being bad to most species of Ts in any way.

But yes, species specific, but I'd say most are totally fine with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For what it's worth, my house is regularly in the mid to upper 60s during the late fall and winter, and I haven't had any issues with any of my Avicularia avicularia or my Caribena versicolor sling.

If your tarantula room is routinely in the lower 60s or lower, I'd recommend heating the room.

Alejandro77567

Arachnopeon
May I ask why? I keep A. Avics and my home is always in the chronic 60's during fall and winter months. They eat very well and are active. I only use a small space heater for a few hours in the evening. Just wondering what's so bad about it?
It can be expensive to use a space heater

Kitara

Arachnodemon
For what it's worth, my house is regularly in the mid to upper 60s during the late fall and winter, and I haven't had any issues with any of my Avicularia avicularia or my Caribena versicolor sling.
I'm glad you said that because my house is consistently 68, day and night. I have a little thermometer next to the enclosures and it is always 68.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was really thinking lower 60s. at the time. I routinely keep all my Ts at 68 night- I’ve stated this temp for almost a decade. So nothing new for me.

However even with my mid 70s I cannot rule out they are affected beyond a slower metabolism.