Should I be worried about a collapse?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
So my 1" DLS B. Albo has been making it's burrow underneath it's corkbark. It's been doing what I have expected, but I've noticed he's excavating a lot of dirt that's underneath the corkbark. I'm scared he'll continue to push out dirt, as he's still doing right now and eventually make the cork bark fall and possibly injure him/her. The cork bark has already shifted down from the position I originally placed it in, but he's still taking out the dirt supporting it. Should I leave it be, hoping it instincts will know what to do? Or do I need to take him out and redo his enclosure.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no. but, if it really worries you, theres no harm in simply removing the bark. the spider still has its burrow.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Usually they will web the heck out of the burrow and the web is strong enough to hold up bark water dishes etc.. But if you are nervous listen to your gut and take it out..

Whenever I set up a Ts enclosure I put the pieces of wood in first and then put in the sub.. If the wood is touching the bottom it cant crush the T when it burrows..

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I dont see a problem here. Just a young albo being its true self. Your sub looks firmly packed. Ive had a B. albo in the past make an extensive burrow out of slightly moist eco earth and be fine. Im sure yours will too. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine did the same with one side of her hide. There was very little dirt and the cork never dropped down. They have been burrowing under things to make homes for a long time. I'm sure it's fine.

On a side note be careful how you move the enclosure around as your more likely to cause the cork to fall moving it than it is digging.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've had hundreds of tarantulas over the decades digging and tunneling in the top soil I give them, and don't remember ever having the substrate collapse. They know how to dig without cave-ins, they've been doing it for millions of years.