Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Should I be happy or annoyed with seller?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Valethea, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Valethea

Valethea Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Yes absolutely. It's horrible when you put it like that. And that'd exactly what he did.
    It'll be my first grown spider death, when it happens. I'm not looking forward to it.
    I will message and see what he has to say.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

You may be able to use this to your advantage....Back in the day, when my collection was still small, I purchased a juvie G. pulchripes. I was told it was female....well 5 months later I had a mature male. I got lucky with a breeding loan and all the slings gave me plenty of trade bait.....but a higher percentage option is to simply trade him to a breeder. Often breeders would rather give a bunch of slings up for a male, rather than a straight up purchase or a loan. Mature males traded, can lead directly to several more slings at virtually no cost above that original male's purchase. Mature males are a great opportunity for new keepers, but only if they take advantage of it.

Its also not a bad thing for a new keeper to have the MM experience, as seeing one can help make future identifications much easier, and you also learned a valuable lesson about buying larger ts unsexed. It may not be the outcome you wanted, but you can certainly turn this lemon into some lemonade.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Valethea

Valethea Arachnopeon

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks so much for the advice. He's a gorgeous spood, and I would like to breed eventually, so it may be a blessing.

Lesson learned indeed. Reputable online stores for sight unseen anymore.
    I want to breed jumping spiders, I wonder if there's a trade to be had somewhere ☺

Edit for loss of a sentence.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The other silver lining; you can meet some pretty awesome people when you get into breeding loans (assuming you stick with reputable folks of course), outside of the possibilities of more of the species or trading for something you're more interested in. It's a good way to make connections, potentially finding another breeder that will give you a fair shake or put you into contact with others working with the species you're into. Here's hoping it pans out well for you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire

UK
    Is the seller also a breeder? Would it be a bad idea to ask him to make you an offer? Just wondering. You said he was a pretty good seller before this incident.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Valethea

Valethea Arachnopeon

Here's hoping indeed. Thanks for the response! I'm actively looking for a mate for him. A nice clutch of healthy spoods would be the ideal outcome - that and some connections like the ones you've mentioned!

I messaged him and he told me to take a look at his list, and he'd swap with anything else he has on it. To be fair it was a decent thing to do - but I've decided I'll try and find this dude a lady friend.
    If I can't find him one - well I'll keep him and learn as much as possible. I might also see if I can source a female to give it a go myself. If I'm brave enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

If you decide to do a breeding loan, please ensure that the person has a good reputation and is known. It is easy for people to be ripped off with breeding loans and it does happen. Personally, I won't do them with people I don't know and I will only consider selling males to them for the right price.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Valethea

Valethea Arachnopeon

Thanks for that advice, I'll 100% follow it! To be fair, I've learned a lot with getting this male and I've been super happy with how the community here has offered advice and help. Thanks so much!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

In a nutshell, this is it for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

This is what my wife is most interested in too. She's planning to get at least a few Phiddipus regius in the spring. She likes the Ts, but when it comes to cleaning, care and supplies those are definitely mine.

11. Valethea

Valethea Arachnopeon

I've a male and female jumpling! P. Regius too. My profile pic is of the male. They're amazing. Good luck to your wife with breeding! They're really popular too, so I can see me being able to sell them to good homes.

Yep, totally. I wasn't the least bit prepared for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.