Should I be concerned?

kn1f3prty

Arachnopeon
I’ve recently purchased an Adult Asian forest scorpion. I’ve been to this forum specifically to do my research on care and maintenance. Right now my scorp is out wandering around her tank during the day and I’m wondering if that is a cause for concern. I’ve been struggling with maintaining her humidity, so I’m hoping she’s not sick. Thanks in advance

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I’ve recently purchased an Adult Asian forest scorpion. I’ve been to this forum specifically to do my research on care and maintenance. Right now my scorp is out wandering around her tank during the day and I’m wondering if that is a cause for concern. I’ve been struggling with maintaining her humidity, so I’m hoping she’s not sick. Thanks in advance

Pics of enclosure?

kn1f3prty

Arachnopeon
Til then, how long have you had her? Hide type(s)? Temperatures (doesnt hurt to know)? Substrate, is it moist but not damp or wet?
I’ve had her about a week now. I have some sort of substrate which I will have to double check the name when I get home.. exo terra or something maybe? The temp is between 73-75, and I’ve been having to mist it daily to keep the humidity at a moderate level. I have a cork bark hide for her as well. I’m also concerned about mites from over misting but have been keeping a close eye on her. The tank I have for her is not ideal. The lid lets out too much humidity so I’ve had to improvise and cover it for now. I’ve been looking into other enclosures to better suit her needs. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe acrylic.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
You want plenty of airflow to avoid mites and mold e.g. I have both of mine in Exo-Terra minis and only cover 50% of the top ventilation.

Your scorpion is behaving stressed. It could be environmental. Your temps are on the low end, what type of heating do you have?

I am looking forward to seeing the pics when you get home.

kn1f3prty

Arachnopeon
You want plenty of airflow to avoid mites and mold e.g. I have both of mine in Exo-Terra minis and only cover 50% of the top ventilation.

Your scorpion is behaving stressed. It could be environmental. Your temps are on the low end, what type of heating do you have?

right now I have a heating pad on the side of the tank. It doesn’t seem sufficient enough. I’ve thought about getting a lamp, but worry it may be too much. Thank you for your responses this far! You’ve been helpful already. Will be posting a pic in a few hours.

kn1f3prty

Arachnopeon

ok so, here is the temporary enclosure. After further research I think I may also need a few more inches of substrate. I’m using zoo med reptisoil. I’m heading to the store later to look for something more suitable for her needs

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
ok so, here is the temporary enclosure. After further research I think I may also need a few more inches of substrate. I’m using zoo med reptisoil. I’m heading to the store later to look for something more suitable for her needs
I like Reptisoil and use it in my H.spinifer enclosure. What you want is a substrate layer of 4-6". Bits of spagnum moss or forest moss can be added for humidity which you can directly spray.

My Reptisoil is kept moist but never damp nor wet. There is no water layer at all nor if I picked a handful up in a fist would I be able to squeeze any water out of it. Just moist and dark as coffee grounds.

Try putting the cork bark in the warm corner so the scorpion is less exposed. So it has a proper burrow scrape.

How are the feedings?

kn1f3prty

Arachnopeon
I like Reptisoil and use it in my H.spinifer enclosure. What you want is a substrate layer of 4-6". Bits of spagnum moss or forest moss can be added for humidity which you can directly spray.

My Reptisoil is kept moist but never damp nor wet. There is no water layer at all nor if I picked a handful up in a fist would I be able to squeeze any water out of it. Just moist and dark as coffee grounds.

Try putting the cork bark in the warm corner so the scorpion is less exposed. So it has a proper burrow scrape.

How are the feedings?
thank you again for all your input. I’ve been feeding her roaches. I try for every 3 days. Sometimes she shows no interest and try again the following day and she usually takes it