Should I be concerned about my GBB chilling here?

Ardothewan

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I just got my first 2 slings. One is a G. pulchra and the other a greenbottle blue. I have them in a split tank. Both are like 1.25-1.5 inches
The pulchra has been chilling in the middle of his side near the edge.
The GBB has been doing interesting stuff. First it found the spot right near the heat pad and has made some web there and has been hanging out right there the whole time. Should I be concerned about it being so close to the mat? Also the crazy thing is I just got them Sunday morning and the GBB molted the very first night only like 5 hours after being put in the terrarium. He did it right there on that piece of wood near the heat mat. He seems fine I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about it being so close? I'd figure he'd move if he was too warm lol

Also I've been searching these forums and it seems people are not so hot on these heat pads. I did put it on the side and not the bottom. The thing is my house is usually in the 63-66 range these days and even with the heat mat it never passes 70 and usually a bit less than that in the terrarium. Obviously it is probably at least 5 degrees more than that where the GBB is chilling. I've read people saying that even 65 is fine but the fact that he is so close to the heat makes me think he wants it warmer?
Any other suggestions?

PS the terrarium is in the kitchen

Attachments

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would assume that it would move away if it was too hot, thats my guess. I'd be carefull of that plant thing, it looks kinda "jagged", could hurt your T mabey.

Ardothewan

Arachnopeon
Yea I've been thinking of removing that. He used it for part of his web. I didn't think he would go sit right there I put it there for decoration!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea I've been thinking of removing that. He used it for part of his web. I didn't think he would go sit right there I put it there for decoration!
Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a problem but if it were me it would make me nervous.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get two separate enclosures one for each t

Fill them up with substrate so that there is no more than 1.5 times the tarantulas leg span between the substrate and the top of the enclosure. ie: if the legspan is 6" then no more than 6-9" of space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure

Get rid of that spikey thing

Get rid of the heat pad. If you absolutely must use one place it on one side of the enclosure so that one side is warmer than the other and the T can escape.

Make sure there is a water dish

Make sure there is a hide (half a coconut shell, store bought cave like thing, etc)

I don't know about GBB, but my G. pulchra lives in 60% humidity sometimes higher, with an average 72-74*F as that is the ambient temperature in my apartment. Although I've had it around 60 at some points last summer. 60-80*F is an acceptable range for almost every T; as far as I know.

Ardothewan

Arachnopeon
yea i was thinking I should put them in something smaller.. already had the terrarium.
the heat pad is on one side. other side much cooler.
i have water dishes for both and hideouts for both.
got rid of the spikey already :p

Instead of the heat pad should I use a red bulb or something or just not heat it and let it be at 65?

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea i was thinking I should put them in something smaller.. already had the terrarium.
the heat pad is on one side. other side much cooler.
i have water dishes for both and hideouts for both.
got rid of the spikey already :p

Instead of the heat pad should I use a red bulb or something or just not heat it and let it be at 65?
You could invest in an electric heater to heat the room, but that might be a waste for just 2 Ts. Or you could keep them at 65 degrees. I have an electric heater but I really don't like to run it that much because I don't want to make the electric bill to like explode. So most of the time my Ts are at 65 degrees. I haven't had any deaths (that I know of) related to temerature problems.