Should have probably done this sooner

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had scorpions and tarantulas before, and now I think it is time for the trifecta.

I've looked around the internet and only found basic care requirements. Could someone give me specific care requirements that transcend the watered down ones online (I never did read how often they will eat or how long they live)?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The reason a lot of care sheets may seem "watered down" is that centipede keeping (I assume that's what your thinking about getting) is still in it's infancy compared to where we are with tarantulas. Nobody's sure how long they live...4-7 years maybe? Maybe more? Although there are a few reports of captive breeding, mostly we're working with wild-caught adults and large immatures. I know there are quite a few babies out there, mostly the result of WC gravid females and not actual captive breeding. I'm not aware of anyone actually raising a captive-born pede from hatching, to adulthood, and all the way to death by old age (maybe Atrax has some info on this...). I'm not saying it can't be done, doubtless many are on the way as we speak, but widespread intrest in centipede keeping has only really developed in the last 5 years or so, so it's really too soon to say. Anyone seriously keeping centipedes right now is really on the cutting edge!

How much do they eat? Well, all I can tell you is I feed mine once a week, 2-3 crickets for smaller ones and 6-8 for bigger specimens. Is this right? Again, nobody knows for sure. All of us who keep pedes have a good opprotunity to contribute to the general knowledge.

Wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well said Wade. Unfortunately the one person, Carl Sandefer, who would probably be able to answer definitively about lifespan isn't really active in the hobby anymore. From what I've heard, they avg around 5 - 7 yrs. Whether or not that is from birth till death, or from becoming part of someones collection to death is anyones guess. My oldest pede right now is my S. morsitans and I've had it going on 2 yrs now.

Scott

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
How much do they eat? Well, all I can tell you is I feed mine once a week, 2-3 crickets for smaller ones and 6-8 for bigger specimens
This is all at one feeding, right?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, all at one time. No harm in spreading it out if you wanted, though. All my inverts are pretty much on a once a week schedule.

Wade

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Instead of that many crickets a vertebrate meal doesnt hurt now and then.