short tail opossum

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My wife wants one of these cute little guys. Any info would be helpful.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Information is pretty readily available across the internet. They are very interesting little guys, I've met some that are quite aggressive. One thing I remember is that you can only keep one per cage. I haven't been around any in a long time, though, so I'll direct you to a good care website:

http://www.knowyoursto.com/

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had one a few years ago. the guy who sold it to me had a bunch in one tank; mine was the female in the best condition, with a chunk of her ear missing. he also said they lived twice as long as they actually do.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These make excellent pets!! How ever only get one possum at a time. They are VERY territorial to other possum when they mature. They are sweet; I have never been bitten by one. They eat a high protein cat food “like 4 kibbles a day” and you can give them cricket’s mealworms or pinkie mice as treats. They are cool because they will haul stuff around with there tails. It is so neat! And there fur is soft like a feather boa. LOL
They are very clean and don’t smell like rodents or sugar gliders.
They don’t chew stuff up so if you give them a box to play in you will have to punch a hole for them. And they will fall asleep in pockets excellent pet!!!! If you ever have any question let me know

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I presume because they are such a wonderful pet, they are also banned in CA? I'll google...

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
STO are becoming harder and harder to find, party in thanks to the monkeypox issue with pairie dogs in 2003. Alot of pet stores, here in VA that is, will refuse to acquire them because they fear the USDA will ban them. So hopefully, there is a store or breeder who already has some.

BTW...all these wonderful pets were banned because of the monkeypox outbreak.
  • prairie dogs
  • and the following African rodent species
  • tree squirrels
  • rope squirrels
  • dormice
  • Gambian giant pouched rats
  • brush-tailed porcupines
  • striped mice