Short guide: Taking usable sexing ventral photos with a phone

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Since i reccomend this setup almost every time there is a similar situation to the one below, i decided i'll just write a short guide in this thread and link it in the future.

Not everybody has a DSLR with macro lens that can zoom into finest detail. Most folks have just a phone. And most of the time, not much knowledge as to what part is important to be in focus and well lit. That's why we learn on this forum,right?
A lot of ventral sexing photos uploaded look like this: Blurry, inconvenient flash reflection, or too wide of an angle where the fine detail thats important gets lost due to compression, or not enough resolution in the first place.

Flash reflection example:
20220111_175030.jpg

Out of focus (Blurry) example:

20220111_185608.jpg

Wide angle example:

20220111_185633.jpg

These are all very hard to use because of the same reason: Loss of detail (Flash : The reflection of the flash covers the details, Out of focus: Obvious, details not visible - blurred, Wide angle: The fine details get compressed once uploaded in the gallery, or they didnt exist in the first place due to low resolution of the details)

Solution?
-Magnifying glass
-Flashlight

20220111_175450.jpg

The setup:
Shine the beam of the flash light at an angle so it doesn't reflect off of your glass/plastic back into the camera. (I stuck my flash light in between two pillows since i have to use my two hands for the magnifying glass and phone)
Simply put the magnifying glass in front of your phone camera (Do not use flash with your phone when taking this image to avoid reflection) and aim for the part in between the upper two book lungs (If you don't know where these are - learn more about spider anatomy. But in summary, It's the upper pair of the four off-colored round shapes on the under side of your T's abdomen) and try to find the closest point you can get to your T without loosing the focus.
It's reccomended to take images at an angle thats as parallel to the T as possible, or slightly angle it towards the rear end of the T.

setup.png

You should get something like this:
20220111_175411.jpg

Crop out just the part with the abdomen so it doesnt loose as much detail when it gets compressed when uploaded to the gallery.
20220111_175416.jpg
Even with my phone's very junk camera, i have gotten decent, usable photos with this setup. It's still far from the ideal photo, but it should be obvious what sex this 3 inch G.pulchra is ;)

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Helpful tips on how to do this thanks. I've been away from the forum for awhile and last I knew ventral sexing was kinda taboo has this changed or improved or is it just some you cannot do this way I'm very curious.

vicareux

Helpful tips on how to do this thanks. I've been away from the forum for awhile and last I knew ventral sexing was kinda taboo has this changed or improved or is it just some you cannot do this way I'm very curious.
Reliability of ventral sexing depends on the species, specimen size and really the training of the eye to spot clues.

For example, a big majority of NW terrestrials can be sexed ventrally with a huge accuracy since the clues are very obvious, whereas, for another example, i find african fossorials somewhat more difficult and sometimes unreliable for ventral sexing.
(This gallery post is a good example of just that)

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very interesting with my eyesight however I have to use a cheapy microscope to sex them lol

Solitaire

Arachnopeon
A fascinating video showing the “hands on” approach by an experienced Polish breeder.
Youtube: SpidersOnlinePL
”Tarantulas Sexing! Ventral examination method.”

vicareux

A fascinating video showing the “hands on” approach by an experienced Polish breeder.
Youtube: SpidersOnlinePL
”Tarantulas Sexing! Ventral examination method.”
I would only consider this method an option when going to the breeder's shop in person to confirm the sex of a T im buying on the spot.
An idea of casual keepers grabbing OW's with foreceps makes me uneasy.
(Video in question):

Molts only for me with few exceptions

Great post!
Thank you!
Molts are always a way to go, though i hope this post will at least have a slight impact on the usability of the average post in the sexing gallery, so it doesnt flood the front page with useless, blurry shots.

Solitaire

Arachnopeon
I would only consider this method an option when going to the breeder's shop in person to confirm the sex of a T im buying on the spot.
(Video in question):
Absolutely! I mention it as an educational documentary, not a recommendation to attempt.
He’s just really informative and talented in dealing with them.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
@vicareux really helpful :)

Something that helps me with pictures on my phone (Samsung s20fe) is using the video more instead of the basic camera.

Ive found it much easier to maneuver the phone to where I want it and get the focus right over a 40 or so second clip.

Start recording and then you can adjust the angle, zoom, focus and flash until your heart is content.

Play the video back and stop it anywhere you have a clear shot of what you want, screenshot it and all the ones you think are unable. Select the best. Bin the video and the not so usable ones.

I mention my phone model specifically as I've found the video quality to be better than the standard camera and even screenshotting still video is better.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
(Video in question):

Thank you!
Molts are always a way to go, though i hope this post will at least have a slight impact on the usability of the average post in the sexing gallery, so it doesnt flood the front page with useless, blurry shots.
if i'm the seller/breeder I'm not letting the customer manhandle my specimens like that lol

especially with the tongs

vicareux

if i'm the seller/breeder I'm not letting the customer manhandle my specimens like that lol

especially with the tongs
What i meant is seller/breeder doing that themselves, but even then its unecessary unless its a really expensive purchase and i really want a confirmation on the spot

Though the tong grab makes me uneasy anyway
I wouldnt trust myself with my fingers, let alone tongs