Shopping trip to Hamm (expo)...

boina

Lady of the mites
IMG_4904a.jpg

...and this is the result. I have to admit I went a bit overboard :embarrassed::sorry::sorry:.

But, I mean, after I found out my P. sp. lowland was a male I had to get another (female) one, right? And I absolutely wanted a P. rufilata and since I couldn't find a sexed female (which then might turn out to be a male, anyway :mad:...) I got three slings from an Hungarian breeder.

And that Hungarian breeder had Phormingochilus carpenteri slings for just a few Euro, sooo... I just had to buy them, you understand that, right? And then I saw a sexed female P. sp. rufus - for only 140 Euro... (still the most expensive spider I ever bought so far)...:greedy:

And then I talked to Henning from premium-spinnen.de, who is just a super nice guy, about arboreals and he showed me all the Avics he had and I couldn't possibly disappoint him and so I bought his female A. minatrix and when I mentioned I wanted maybe a Tapi, too, he said if I bought one of his last two T. sp. Columbia I'd get the other one for free :astonished:, sooo...

Oh, and I finally got myself a P. murinus... I just need to see for myself what everyone is talking about :anxious:.

I haven't housed them yet. After a long day of driving and shopping I've only put them on a shelf in their transport boxes. I'll do the housing tomorrow, when I'm not so tired 'cause I don't feel like chasing an OBT or a highly expensive Phormingochilus. So, I'm very likely going to use this thread to show off some pics of my new additions tomorrow.

But that's it, definitely and officially no more new spiders for me for at least a year (with one possible exception...).

P.S.: I'm broke :bigtears:

keks

Arachnobaron
Not more? You are a brave one :rofl:.
Congrats to your achievements ^^. I am really jealous, it is such a big event. And there was the Hungarian dealer who has B. albopilosum Nicaragua :rolleyes:.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Congrats on the new babies!!! :) I can't wait to see photos of all of the gorgeous individuals!

creepa

Arachnoknight
I demand a picture of that P. sp. rufus now...!
If i knew they where selling them for that cheap i would've driven the 3 hours...

boina

Lady of the mites
I demand a picture of that P. sp. rufus now...!
If i knew they where selling them for that cheap i would've driven the 3 hours...
Prices were actually highly variable - you had to walk around and compare. I saw another P. sp. rufus for 240 Euro, for example... and the female P. sp. lowland I bought for 35 Euro went for 50 at another table. There's no consensus about what certain species should cost at the moment.

And you couldn't have bought the "cheap" P. sp. rufus anyway, because I got it :p.

Btw, it was a 4 hour drive for me each way, so I had to make it count ;).

Pic will be coming up later during the day (after my coffee had time to work...)

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
View attachment 242901

...and this is the result. I have to admit I went a bit overboard :embarrassed::sorry::sorry:.

But, I mean, after I found out my P. sp. lowland was a male I had to get another (female) one, right? And I absolutely wanted a P. rufilata and since I couldn't find a sexed female (which then might turn out to be a male, anyway :mad:...) I got three slings from an Hungarian breeder.

And that Hungarian breeder had Phormingochilus carpenteri slings for just a few Euro, sooo... I just had to buy them, you understand that, right? And then I saw a sexed female P. sp. rufus - for only 140 Euro... (still the most expensive spider I ever bought so far)...:greedy:

And then I talked to Henning from premium-spinnen.de, who is just a super nice guy, about arboreals and he showed me all the Avics he had and I couldn't possibly disappoint him and so I bought his female A. minatrix and when I mentioned I wanted maybe a Tapi, too, he said if I bought one of his last two T. sp. Columbia I'd get the other one for free :astonished:, sooo...

Oh, and I finally got myself a P. murinus... I just need to see for myself what everyone is talking about :anxious:.

I haven't housed them yet. After a long day of driving and shopping I've only put them on a shelf in their transport boxes. I'll do the housing tomorrow, when I'm not so tired 'cause I don't feel like chasing an OBT or a highly expensive Phormingochilus. So, I'm very likely going to use this thread to show off some pics of my new additions tomorrow.

But that's it, definitely and officially no more new spiders for me for at least a year (with one possible exception...).

P.S.: I'm broke :bigtears:
Lucky lady! Enjoy without guilt, and I'm jealous

creepa

Arachnoknight
Prices were actually highly variable - you had to walk around and compare. I saw another P. sp. rufus for 240 Euro, for example... and the female P. sp. lowland I bought for 35 Euro went for 50 at another table. There's no consensus about what certain species should cost at the moment.

And you couldn't have bought the "cheap" P. sp. rufus anyway, because I got it :p.

Pic will be coming up later during the day (after my coffee had time to work...)

Well if you snooze you loose they say right...

Btw. there is a subadult P. everetti coming in this week that was pretty cheap so...

And prices of the P. sp. rufus are dropping like flies at the moment..., i already saw them for €15.- at first molt a pop if you buy 10 at once..., so if you can find some one that allso wants a few that could be a good deal.

boina

Lady of the mites
And here are the new darlings:

IMG_4913a.jpg

P. murinus went first into her new home because I wanted that out of the way. Although she's only 2.5" yet she went directly into her adult home because I don't want to do any more rehousings than necessary. And I chose the safest way: just put the transport box into her new enclosure and she can come out in her own time. No trouble there.

Then A. minatrix:

IMG_4918a.jpg

She got a indoor herb house with some extra air holes (Please excuse my melting technique, I'm an idiot with everything that requires a tool :hurting:):

IMG_4920a.jpg
And I've no clue why the pic is on it's side, but you can see the design.

boina

Lady of the mites
Tapi sp. Colombia is still pretty small, but also just pretty:

IMG_4925a.jpg

The P. rufilatas are even smaller, I think they are 2i:

IMG_4932a.jpg

And the hopefully female P. sp. lowland:

IMG_4946a.jpg

I feel a bit bad for her, because she had to go into a provisional box (not this one, a proper arboreal box, at least). I did buy a nice glass terrarium for her, but I need to furnish it and the silicone I use for glueing everything in place needs to cure. She'll need to be rehoused again in a week or so, but it can't be helped now.

boina

Lady of the mites
And the star of the show:
IMG_4937a.jpg

The flash makes her look more pinkish than she is in real life, but without flash she looks washed out, at least while in my shower. I need to get a pic in natural light sometime. The seller said something about this species being terrestrial, but I'm not so sure about that and gave her a semi-arboreal setup.

And the last:

IMG_4950a.jpg

P. carpenteri, 2i sling... not really a lot to see yet, but I'm wondering why the slings of this species are dirt cheap whereas the other Phormingochilus are much more expensive. This is a rare species after all and hardly even available at all, so I'm a bit confused.

keks

Arachnobaron
Wow! So many beautiful tarantulas! You are a lucky one, boina ^^.
P. sp. rufus is awesome :) !

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice haul, lovely spiders. They're not the stars of the show here but I like the purplish tinge on the rufilata.

I found out my P. sp. lowland was a male... And then I saw a sexed female P. sp. rufus
This is why I think tarantula keepers need to get used to typing generic names - at least once per topic. P. sp. lowland? P. sp. rufus? If it wasn't for the pics I'd have no idea what those are. They're practically common names! :wacky:

I'm wondering why the slings of this species are dirt cheap whereas the other Phormingochilus are much more expensive. This is a rare species after all and hardly even available at all, so I'm a bit confused.
Less wondering, more boot-filling! :D

Last edited:

creepa

Arachnoknight
Phormingochilus carpenteri is ex Cyriopagopus sp. sulawesi black for now..., and they are bred on a regular basis so thats why they are getting cheaper and cheaper.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
And here are the new darlings:

View attachment 242977

P. murinus went first into her new home because I wanted that out of the way. Although she's only 2.5" yet she went directly into her adult home because I don't want to do any more rehousings than necessary. And I chose the safest way: just put the transport box into her new enclosure and she can come out in her own time. No trouble there.

Then A. minatrix:

View attachment 242978

She got a indoor herb house with some extra air holes (Please excuse my melting technique, I'm an idiot with everything that requires a tool :hurting:):

View attachment 242979
And I've no clue why the pic is on it's side, but you can see the design.
@boina
I like the indoor herb house design, very nice

boina

Lady of the mites
@boina Is it true that it's forbidden to take a photos of a Hamm expo?
Yes, it's true. This is due to the fact that several years ago animal rights activists went around and took pics and had them posted in local and not so local newspapers with texts talking of animal abuse and so on. They tried to have the expo shut down via public pressure. So, nowadays it's forbidden to take pics. If you get caught you get unceremoniously thrown out.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Yes, it's true. This is due to the fact that several years ago animal rights activists went around and took pics and had them posted in local and not so local newspapers with texts talking of animal abuse and so on. They tried to have the expo shut down via public pressure. So, nowadays it's forbidden to take pics. If you get caught you get unceremoniously thrown out.
That sucks, hope that I can get some special permission from organizers to record and make a video :/