Shipping....

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can someone tell me how to package a tarantula (not a sling) for shipping? I need to sell one of mine, but I have no clue how to pack it. If any of you all want to buy it, be my guest. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well... what i know is: Put it inot a container full of moss( Just what Ive seen and heard around petshops, so you might wanna get some other advice) and leave enough frrom for the T to move, then put in some heat packs next to the container were your T is at, then stuff the box full of foam, then tape it up and put a sticker on it that says: LIVE ANIMAL. KEEP WARM., then send it overnite shipping... Thats all I know.. nice pik by the way. What species is that? You said it wasnt a sling?

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. Smiti?! I want. haha How much they are expensive and i'm poor, packing it isn't to hard, get the smallest deli cup or like tuperware containter you can find that will fit the T in it, so it would flip flop all over in it, make sure theres air holes, then put news paper crunched and paked tightly on the bottom and sides and top of the box with the deli-cup in between it all to hold it still when in the mail... thats all.. hope it helps some..

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think it's a good idea to put heat packs right next to the container....it can get too hot for the T. put newspaper or something around the container, then the heat pack. Also, if you don't have the moss mentioned above, you can use soft paper towels.

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by invadermike
B. Smiti?! I want. haha How much they are expensive and i'm poor, packing it isn't to hard, get the smallest deli cup or like tuperware containter you can find that will fit the T in it, so it would flip flop all over in it, make sure theres air holes, then put news paper crunched and paked tightly on the bottom and sides and top of the box with the deli-cup in between it all to hold it still when in the mail... thats all.. hope it helps some..
How about $20 plus shipping. The store wanted $100, but I got it for $50...so deduct some for the sake of being a nice guy and there you go. I live in Texas, so if you're far away overnight shipping is going to be a serious pain. Email me your address and any further questions or cancellation. (sekiel@dms.net)

-LT

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
L_T...
I've shipped lots of spiders, and here is how I do it:

Take an appropriately sized deli cup, one that is just about the size of the T legspan. Dampen paper toweling, and put in the cup. Add the tarantula. Have more damp paper towels ready to put ON TOP of the T. Don't squish it, but don't really leave it much room to move either. Consider the fact that someone will be THROWING the box around. Use a heat pack (or two depending on the box size) and lay it on the bottom of the box. Next put newspaper on top of the heat pack. If you have styrofoam peanuts, they work great as a packing material. If not, use wadded up newspaper. Again, pack it all around the deli cup so the box could be thrown, and the deli cup stays in place. You want it snug.
Seal box, and ship.
Toss the box up in the air, and catch it a couple of times. (that's what I do anyway!)
You want to be able to do that without the deli cup moving.
Hope that helps.
Holley