shipping stories

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
It's fairly safe to assume that everyone here has shipped tarantulas or has had them shipped to them. Let's here those horror stories.

Last September I shipped 7ts out. A bunch of baboons, an E.campestratus, a Y.Ybyrapara, formerly Avic Avic, and an LP. During the battles I wound up with a pissed off C.Marshalli on my head(good thing I always wear hats), I lost my P.murinus rcf which I thought my cats killed but I found 6-7 months later, and had an A.Ezendami trying to climb up my shorts. The package was shipped however and reached its destination.

Let's hear yours?

Last edited:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I recieved one DOA that was a juvie b smithi that molted en route. The trader made good on it though and I got a pretty awesome replacement that was my first gbb. I currently have 6 now so you can tell I enjoy my gbbs!

I shipped a 7-8" T stirmi once. It was a heck of a deal getting it into its' tupperware lined with paper towels. I was a bit itchy for a while but she made it to her destination unscathed.

Everything else has been fairly unneventful, luckily.

Hoshnobobo

Arachnopeon
I ordered from Backwater reptiles when I first started since I was stupid enough to trust the reviews on their site and it comes up first a lot when googling Ts for sale. They shipped me a mature male Avicularia Metallica when I ordered a female but also on the same order but shipped separately was a 4" or so T. Stirmi that was shipped in a large deli cup half full of substrate. It arrived burst and dead, they gave me $50 store credit on it when it cost $85.

cold blood

Staff member
This winter i made a fairly large trade with a reputable seller. My package arrived first...when he unpacked, the second t he unpacked had molted in transit and died....crappy, but this is where its weird....i got his box, and the second container i opened had a doa that had.....molted in transit.

One loss each way, both molted in transit, and both contained only a single doa...both of which were the second t unpacked.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Never had a DOA but TheSpiderShop sent me a sling that had dropped 2 legs when I ordered a juvenile C. versicolor (they did send me the juvie after I emailed them, the sling died within a week though).

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
:eek: care to expand on how you recovered from this as a keeper,any bites? Where did you end up finding the escapee????

It's fairly safe to assume that everyone here has shipped tarantulas or has had them shipped to them. Let's here those horror stories.

Last September I shipped 7ts out. A bunch of baboons, an E.campestratus, a Y.Ybyrapara, formerly Avic Avic, and an LP. During the battles I wound up with a pissed off C.Marshalli on my head(good thing I always wear hats), I lost my P.murinus rcf which I thought my cats killed but I found 6-7 months later, and had an A.Ezendami trying to climb up my shorts. The package was shipped however and reached its destination.

Let's hear yours?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My P. Cancerides happened (bolted as soon as the lid came off the deli cup she was in. Lucky for me (and the tarantula) I was prepared, captured her, put her in the enclosure I set up and no problems since. I've had no DOA issues or other shipping issues (I personally have not shipped anything yet).

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I ordered from Backwater reptiles when I first started since I was stupid enough to trust the reviews on their site and it comes up first a lot when googling Ts for sale. They shipped me a mature male Avicularia Metallica when I ordered a female but also on the same order but shipped separately was a 4" or so T. Stirmi that was shipped in a large deli cup half full of substrate. It arrived burst and dead, they gave me $50 store credit on it when it cost $85.
Yep. The general consensus is to never order anything from backwater

:eek: care to expand on how you recovered from this as a keeper,any bites? Where did you end up finding the escapee????
I wasn't bitten at all. Which was amazing as the C.Marshalli on my head was in full threat posture. The A.Ezendami was more docile and was just running for darkness. The obt I actually found behind my bed fully alive almost 7 months later. She's still in my collection

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
(Avicularia avicularia is still A.avicularia ;) )

I received a B.hamorii (ex.smithi) from another keeper. She said she had experience with shipping, so I agreed. Poor thing came in a cardboard box with plastic box in it which was two times its DLS with a little substrate in it, which was all over her as well. She was lucky to be alive, getting tossed like that.
I messaged the sender furiously, her argument was that this was how she got it as well. I asked where she got it, she says 'at an expo'. I facepalmed so hard my nose hurt for days....:shifty:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
(Avicularia avicularia is still A.avicularia ;) )

I received a B.hamorii (ex.smithi) from another keeper. She said she had experience with shipping, so I agreed. Poor thing came in a cardboard box with plastic box in it which was two times its DLS with a little substrate in it, which was all over her as well. She was lucky to be alive, getting tossed like that.
I messaged the sender furiously, her argument was that this was how she got it as well. I asked where she got it, she says 'at an expo'. I facepalmed so hard my nose hurt for days....:shifty:
An Expo????? So she thought that you shipped spiders how you buy them in person? Would someone please slap her? For me? I'll buy you a slurpee

I recieved one DOA that was a juvie b smithi that molted en route. The trader made good on it though and I got a pretty awesome replacement that was my first gbb. I currently have 6 now so you can tell I enjoy my gbbs!

I shipped a 7-8" T stirmi once. It was a heck of a deal getting it into its' tupperware lined with paper towels. I was a bit itchy for a while but she made it to her destination unscathed.

Everything else has been fairly unneventful, luckily.
Hopefully I never have to ship someone that big. A friend of mine got rid of his collection and had to ship a 7" regalis. That, my fellow arachnoculturists, was a war.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have a friend who likes to double stack in 32oz deli cups. First time, knowing she does this, but not ever seeing it before, I get a double stacked cup. It was packed super well, but it can be nerve racking. I open the cup and a B vagans is on top. No problem, I put her in her enclosure. Underneath her in the bottom section is an H mac. She's ready to come out. I mean READY. I pull the paper towel layer and she's right behind it on a mission. That mission is FREEDOM! It's my first H mac and I'm already apprehensive. Needless to say, I controlled her, she didn't control me. I got my cardio in that day though.
My other is the only spider I ever lost. It was a freebie P irminia sling. It's in a tiny vial. I pop the cap and it teleports to who knows where. Gone forever.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I have a friend who likes to double stack in 32oz deli cups. First time, knowing she does this, but not ever seeing it before, I get a double stacked cup. It was packed super well, but it can be nerve racking. I open the cup and a B vagans is on top. No problem, I put her in her enclosure. Underneath her in the bottom section is an H mac. She's ready to come out. I mean READY. I pull the paper towel layer and she's right behind it on a mission. That mission is FREEDOM! It's my first H mac and I'm already apprehensive. Needless to say, I controlled her, she didn't control me. I got my cardio in that day though.
My other is the only spider I ever lost. It was a freebie P irminia sling. It's in a tiny vial. I pop the cap and it teleports to who knows where. Gone forever.
I know the feeling with dealing with that old world speed. I'm packing a mature male S.calceatum right now and I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I got a MM N.incei ready last night for shipping. He didn't make it off the coffee table but wow did that little guy make a run for it. He was so jumpy I didn't even try to take any last photos of him.

He was a lot calmer this morning when I got him packed up to send out. The little guy was quick last night though.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I got a MM N.incei ready last night for shipping. He didn't make it off the coffee table but wow did that little guy make a run for it. He was so jumpy I didn't even try to take any last photos of him.

He was a lot calmer this morning when I got him packed up to send out. The little guy was quick last night though.
This is why I always pack during the day. I don't need little such and suches going all uncanny X-Men meets Dragonball Z on me

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've only ever had one bad experience shipping and that was a package going to Texas I believe. Several T's were in it and maybe some scorpions, I don't remember. The package got lost in transit so I sent more to make it good. The second package arrived with no problems and the first finally arrived after two weeks. All but one made it, a bit dehydrated but otherwise alive. The unwanted ones got shipped back I believe without incident. The only issues I've had as a recipient were to trades that I shipped to and never recieved my end of the trade. Since they never shipped it may not qualify but they were bad deals anyway. Other than that, I've never had any other problems.