Shipping question

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone shipped a large snake by usps? I know the shipping is high for express but I'm needing to sell my Burmese python(he is around 6.5' so not to light) and was wondering if usps is alright(of course like my T's just never say whats in the box) or if someone like Fedex or ups is better?

-Tim

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Try airline shipping...its fastest, safest and legal...Fedex and UPS don't accept snakes, and USPS is not a good option.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For something that large, Delta cargo is the way to go.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nicole how do you go about Delta cargo? Never shipped a large snake before and I'm trying to get it down before I post him for sale.

-Tim

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nicole how do you go about Delta cargo? Never shipped a large snake before and I'm trying to get it down before I post him for sale.

-Tim
You can call Delta Cargo to book the shipment. It can be rather expensive. Just make sure when you call Delta that you specify that it is a cold-blooded shipment, because the guidelines are different for fish, reptiles, etc., than for mammals or birds. The product/rate code for reptiles is SCR 0187. You'll get an airway bill number, which can be used like a tracking number. Pack up the snake just like you would if you were using a door-to-door service. You'll drop off at your airport, usually a couple hours before the flight, at the Delta counter and your buyer will pick up at his airport.

That said, I'm not sure if shipping a large burm is really worth it anyway, unless it's a super fancy morph or something. The shipping may end up costing more than the snake is worth.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can call Delta Cargo to book the shipment. It can be rather expensive. Just make sure when you call Delta that you specify that it is a cold-blooded shipment, because the guidelines are different for fish, reptiles, etc., than for mammals or birds. The product/rate code for reptiles is SCR 0187. You'll get an airway bill number, which can be used like a tracking number. Pack up the snake just like you would if you were using a door-to-door service. You'll drop off at your airport, usually a couple hours before the flight, at the Delta counter and your buyer will pick up at his airport.

That said, I'm not sure if shipping a large burm is really worth it anyway, unless it's a super fancy morph or something. The shipping may end up costing more than the snake is worth.
Nicole what about shipmyreptile.com can he do it threw them? Sorry I've never shipped snakes before only received them so I'm not sure on their polices other than no venomous. I know anything venomous has to go threw Delta dash and ship my reptiles had put out an email awhile back that they were not shipping snakes, something about a false water cobra and something else being illegally shipped.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ship Your Reptiles has pretty specific criteria for size limits that his snake exceeds.

I don't really get SYR anyway, it seems the only benefit of going through them is that they pass along their discounted rate? Anything you can do through SYR, you can do yourself through ups.com, fedex.com, or one of your local UPS/FedEx centers.

Technically, you definitely could ship a 6.5 foot burm via UPS or FedEx if you can find a box secure enough to send it in and your buyer is willing to pay. Whether door-to-door service or air cargo, it's going to be expensive to ship a snake of that size due to the weight and dimensions of the box.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ship Your Reptiles has pretty specific criteria for size limits that his snake exceeds.

I don't really get SYR anyway, it seems the only benefit of going through them is that they pass along their discounted rate? Anything you can do through SYR, you can do yourself through ups.com, fedex.com, or one of your local UPS/FedEx centers.

Technically, you definitely could ship a 6.5 foot burm via UPS or FedEx if you can find a box secure enough to send it in and your buyer is willing to pay. Whether door-to-door service or air cargo, it's going to be expensive to ship a snake of that size due to the weight and dimensions of the box.

Ahh I see I thought maybe they did the paper work and all that for you so basically it's be easier to just do it yourself anyway. I noticed the boxes are expensive which explained why shipping fees are so high. But again I haven't gone that far yet so I haven't looked into everything.

Best of luck with the burm.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys. Actually if I ship fed-ex or something like it I have a 2" thick styro-foam box I got from wal-mart(they got it from a steak shipment :) ). Of course the shipping price is a large issue. Because over night usps to Cali is like $77 and local area is still $40(just an idea).

-Tim