Shipping. (Not a question of legalities)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Alright. How important is over night shipping? I understand its the safest for the spider and such but I've been reading and shipping problems seem rare enough that an extra day or two shouldn't hurt. Obviously depending on the seller and conditions (conditions being very good recently). Personally, I'm looking at a 1.5" gbb sling from JRs Inverts. Just curious because I'm absolutely losing my mind without one but I'm also too broke to reasonably pay 45$ for shipping on one spider. Also too broke to add another spider to justify the shipping.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Talking in general, now (and considering how things works, on that sense, here in Europe) I think that the 'over night' option is used by those that wants to receive, ASAP, the T's/inverts.

I highly doubt that with a normal two/three days shipping, if the T's are Pro packed (that's essential) and the weather 'rule' respected, something bad would happens. In fact, in certain European nations, isn't rare at all to receive T's parcels even after 5/6 days, sometimes even more. And DOA are rare.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let me add another thing since I love to be a polemical dastard :kiss:

While I understand that the so called 'over night' shipping option is, hands down, fast as light and whatever, $ 45 is an insanity on my book. Not talking at all about T's, here with less than $ 8/9 (depends) I can order stuff from, example, Sicilia island and receive said stuff here in Lombardy in less than 48 hours.

No 'over night', ok, but no matter, a very fast service at an honest price.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My M. balfouri slings that were supposed to be shipped overnight (dropped off Monday for Tuesday delivery) did not arrive until Friday and both weather and packaging were less than optimal - but all five arrived safe and sound! The only one who seemed at all distressed by the delays was me.

In general, weather conditions permitting, several days in transit should be fine. The biggest downside to 2-day (or more) shipping is that it usually negates LAG. If the sling in question is relatively inexpensive, it's not worth it in my opinion. Most times, the sling will be fine. But if you're going for one of those rare exotics that's priced in the triple digits, I'd still spring for the overnight shipping just to be on the safe side.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My M. balfouri slings that were supposed to be shipped overnight (dropped off Monday for Tuesday delivery) did not arrive until Friday and both weather and packaging were less than optimal - but all five arrived safe and sound! The only one who seemed at all distressed by the delays was me.

In general, weather conditions permitting, several days in transit should be fine. The biggest downside to 2-day (or more) shipping is that it usually negates LAG. If the sling in question is relatively inexpensive, it's not worth it in my opinion. Most times, the sling will be fine. But if you're going for one of those rare exotics that's priced in the triple digits, I'd still spring for the overnight shipping just to be on the safe side.
Yeah, the LAG is gonna be void if i go with standard shipping, but ive heard more happy stories than horror stories and most of the horror stories were at the fault of the seller for bad packing or shipping in premolt.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
The odds are very much in your favor with 2-3 day shipping, but it is still a bit of a gamble and its a tough call. After one experience I always go overnight even though it was the rare bad one.

It was my first trade ever. Traded straight up one spider for one spider with someone. We both agreed on overnight shippig. We shipped the same morning at almost the exact same time. I sent him tracking and then he sent me tracking with an explanation that overnight was expensive so he did 2nd day. What he didn't tell me was the spider was also in premolt. What arrived was a well packed tub of mush that was the spider that died mid-molt. I was devestated. The guy ended up replacing it with something worth double, which was nice, and he paid for shipping again so he lost big in the pocket book.

Its hard to wait, but I'd say wait for another payday or two and add another tarantula to the order and do overnight :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It depends on how the T is packed really. I received a lot of Ts 2 day shipping and all have been fine. The only sling I've lost in transit is a overnight sling that got a big delay.

Also, a lot of people allow for LAG on 2 day shipping as well as overnight.

cold blood

Staff member
under good conditions 2 day is just fine, i dont consider it a risk at all...your seller used to offer lag with 2 day under good conditions (as do I)...not sure if he changed things though.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Just be glad you don't have to pay $80 for normal shipping.
THAT. Is crazy.

Its hard to wait, but I'd say wait for another payday or two and add another tarantula to the order and do overnight
The trick is paying for all the enclosure stuff (only as expensive as i make it, i know) and still paying off a whooole bunch of traffic fines.

under good conditions 2 day is just fine, i dont consider it a risk at all...your seller used to offer lag with 2 day under good conditions (as do I)...not sure if he changed things though.
If I'm reading the terms of service right, he has changed it or it could be a seasonal thing and he hasnt updated it. Im not too sure.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
In the dead of winter, overnight is a must imo. When it's mild like now, 2 day is usually fine. But seriously, add a tarantula or two to spread the cost of shipping out. Wait a check or two. You can always find a GBB. You never know, you might find a better deal looking around while you wait

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just be glad you don't have to pay $80 for normal shipping.
That's an hell of a price, man. With USPS Priority International (I'm not talking about T's) I pay not even $30/35 and within 3/4 days what I order (in general Oaxaca art) arrives in Italy.

The others 12/15 days I need to wait for are only due to Italian "turtle" custom, to say 'slow' is saying nothing, but they aren't so 'slow' when it comes to ask me to pay the import taxes, of course... they turns fast Vampires in no time :shifty:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I almost always use 2-3 day both shipping to my house, and from my house. (Only used overnight once when it was free part of a deal) At least 20 times now. Never a DOA on either end ever. I agree with @cold blood said, with proper packing, it's not rely a risk.

boina

Lady of the mites
Not wanting to gloat, but overnight shipping in Germany is 15 Euro... Of course I always use that. Having said that I've had a couple of spiders arrive 5 days late due to mail service unexpectedly going on strike and they were all fine. Don't ask how I was, though...

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Not wanting to gloat, but overnight shipping in Germany is 15 Euro... Of course I always use that. Having said that I've had a couple of spiders arrive 5 days late due to mail service unexpectedly going on strike and they were all fine. Don't ask how I was, though...
Dang! That's a great price.
Although if any spiders were to arrive five days (2-5) more than what I'd expect, they would not arrive alive in my area. Especially with the weather we get after April over here. (USA, AZ)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Shipping prices in the US are mental lol, overnight shipping to anywhere in the UK costs about £8 (give or take £1).

As for your question on how important overnight shipping is... Not crucial unless it's the dead of winter.

I've ordered Tarantulas from Poland which took 5-6 days to arrive and they were fine, if they are packed well then it's not a problem.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Dang! That's a great price.
Although if any spiders were to arrive five days (2-5) more than what I'd expect, they would not arrive alive in my area. Especially with the weather we get after April over here. (USA, AZ)
Is the disagree rating suggesting a tarantula would survive multiple days in the back of a truck in 100-115F heat?
If that is a possibility, let me know.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Is the disagree rating suggesting a tarantula would survive multiple days in the back of a truck in 100-115F heat?
If that is a possibility, let me know.
From what ive read, there are cold packs that basically work with the same purpose (keeping Ts at a safe temperature) as heat packs. In theory, that could help. For a little while, anyways.