Shipping my first tarantula tomorrow

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm pretty excited about it, and thankfully it is a very easy-going penultimate male Brachypelma smithi.

Was anyone else excited about the first time they shipped a T, or am I just a dork? :eek:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm right there with you! I packed up Ts for the first time ever yesterday and I shipped the package this morning. I've been dreading it for sometime, especially considering the genera involved (Phlogius, Augacephalus, Chilobrachys, and Psalmopoeus). I was sure it was going to be a disaster but it went smoother than I could have hoped! Its kind of funny that the only attitude (one threatpose) was from an irminia :rolleyes:

I felt such a sense of accomplishment and relief when I finished lol

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first outgoing shipment was a MM C. cyanopubescens. My second (and latest) was 200 P. murinus slings using the straw method. I think next time I may just send the whole sack intact, and accept the count quoted by the buyer! I learned a lot with the OBTs. I had put all 200 of them in individual 3/4 oz. deli cups with a teaspoon of substrate (Eco Earth or equivalent) and then had to pack them in the straws. I would at least eliminate the step of placing them in their own containers. I could have saved about 9 hours. (Putting holes in 200 lids, putting a teaspoon of substrate in each container, a couple shots of water with the spray bottle, carefully move each spider into one of the cups; all just to have to move all of the little guys into straws for shipping.)
Gotta say I felt pretty good when I got the emails saying that my packages had arrived as planned! I had a few casualties with the OBTs, and I felt bad, because it was my fault. I should have provided more moisture for the trip. Lesson learned, but it's unfortunate lives were lost in the process. I appeal to the spider Gods for forgiveness. :eek:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A.E., Relax, it's not that big of a deal. You'll do fine! I've only shipped one thus far- a mm B. emilia. I was worried like heck something would go wrong beforehand but was feeling pretty good about it once it was sent- especially after it arrived alive and healthy. I'm going to have to do a little more research on packing pokies, though! {D

While you're at it, if you have any extra juvy females of B albiceps, B annitha, or X immanis, please feel free to send them right this way. Go for it. I have faith in you! There need not be any worry at all. :)

Terry

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL Thanks guys.

I'm actually considering delaying shipping a day. I start school tomorrow and won't get out until 2:30 pm. I not sure if I can box him up and and get him to the PO on time, and I'd hate for him to have to sit in a shipping container from now until then if I pack him tonight. I have no idea how the PO works, if I shipped him overnight tomorrow after school would he still go out the same day, or would he sit at the post office overnight? :?

Probably be safer to wait a day huh?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For overnite it would be better to wait. Try to get the package there well before noon- at least that's what I was told here. Good luck!

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I usually pack them up the night before I ship and I haven't had any problems yet. I've shipped several all across the country in the last year. Remember to barely moisten the paper towel(padding) since it's winter. I very lightly moisten it at this time of year.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty excited about it, and thankfully it is a very easy-going penultimate male Brachypelma smithi.

Was anyone else excited about the first time they shipped a T, or am I just a dork? :eek:
I hope yours went better than mine! All but one of mine arrived DOA. I feel like I packed them well and the receiver assured me I did but apparently it was a particularly rough ride. Nevertheless, I feel like garbage about it :(

I really really hope yours went well :eek:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like to pack the night before, ship first thing in the morning. this ensures it hits the truck ASAP and is on the way to its destination.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
First Tarantula Shipping

I was excited and worried about my first shipping, afterall it was a pet. Jon3800's Avicularia versicolor had just died, and I was willing to part with my versi, so I sold it to him (along with a trade). I found out when the shipment was being sent out from the post office that day, then packed it up (meticulously) and brought it there around that time, so that the T wasn't sitting around all day in storage, and she arrived alive and well! This was the result/review of my first shipping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAx1r2n1Qhg

In the end, I was happy that the receiver was happy. Good luck Audrey.