Shipping Molts

Malevolus

Arachnopeon
So, a friend of mine works at an animal sanctuary across the country from me. Recently, the T.blondi that the sanctuary has molted, and apparently it's one hell of a beautiful molt. She says the only part that "popped" was the top of the carapace, everything else is pristine. From what she says, it's a pretty big molt, I don't know all the specifics yet, but I am giddy like a school girl lol {D

Now that there's backstory, I've searched and didn't find anything on safely shipping molts, but perhaps my search-fu is weak today. Found lots on preserving the molt once I get it, and how I can pose it before preservation. :D

What is the best, and safest way you've found to ship molts? Just in a box with packing peanuts? bagged and bubble wrapped?

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm the only molts I ever shipped were to get sexed, so I wasn't worried about minor damage during the trip. I wrapped them in damp paper towels, put them in a ziplock bag and mailed them in a padded envelope. Box with packing sounds good. Keeping it moist may prevent it from breaking in transit. A dry molt is very delicate.
Good luck.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree you just place them in a bag with a wet paper towel roll it up and ship it out......

But if you want it intact just put it in like a checkbook box something that does not let it move arount alot then put it in a bigger box.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would maybe use some kind of styrofoam packing that's smaller than peanuts. Maybe you could just crumble up a bunch of peanuts.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I seem to recall there's a shipping material that resembles bean-bag beads made of styrafoam, but I could be wrong. I've boxed them in gladware containers with damp paper towers and bubblewrap, then boxed that in a larger box with peanuts or bubblewrap.