Shipping horrors

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I'd like to hear people's stories about bad shipments. This seems to be a part of the tarantula hobby that gets overlooked or folks don't discuss as often. I've had a few in my day from people that downright horrendously packed animals or shipped in ways that should never even happen. Here is two pics of one of the recent said shipments. Yes it was shipped like shown and luckily the animal was received alive and well. As for me I was oblivious as to how this person shipped said animal and I have more pics to show how this person justified doing this.
IMG_20210602_141548974.jpg
IMG_20210602_142057395.jpg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
That's just awful. And illegal. Nobody is supposed to ship venomous animals of any kind through USPS! Lucky the little guy survived.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
What the hell am i looking at?
Was it just wadded up in old grocery bags?
Yes, bunched up grocery bags as, I'm guessing, packing material and insulation. The tarantula survived this shipment. Oh and the vendor sent a freebie as I'm guessing a sort of bribe for all of this. It was crazy to say the least. The excuses given also to why she shipped this way did not make sense.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
<Admin Note>

Just putting this out there. We are fine with this thread, but there is one rule if you want to keep it open:
  1. No Shippers are to be named in the thread.
If you want to know who a bad shipper is, reach out to the user who posted the story and ask them PRIVATELY.

If you are posting a story and want to name the bad shipper, then the ONLY PLACE to do so is in our Reviews area. Reviews CAN also be left for purchases that were not made through Arachnoboards, as long as they meet our review requirements (recently updated).
  • Posts asking for a shippers name will be edited or removed.
  • Posts naming a shipper will be edited or removed.
Contrary to what some may believe, this is NOT to protect anyone who ships poorly, but to keep content in the appropriate areas that are made for them.

Regards,
MrD

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
<Admin Note>

Just putting this out there. We are fine with this thread, but there is one rule if you want to keep it open:
  1. No Shippers are to be named in the thread.
If you want to know who a bad shipper is, reach out to the user who posted the story and ask them PRIVATELY.

If you are posting a story and want to name the bad shipper, then the ONLY PLACE to do so is in our Reviews area. Reviews CAN also be left for purchases that were not made through Arachnoboards, as long as they meet our review requirements (this is currently being updated).
  • Posts asking for a shippers name will be edited or removed.
  • Posts naming a shipper will be edited or removed.
Contrary to what some may believe, this is NOT to protect anyone who ships poorly, but to keep content in the appropriate areas that are made for them.

Regards,
MrD
I will not post any names

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I will not post any names
Thank you for understanding. Just want to add that the admin note was more of a general guideline for anyone who might post in this thread currently or in the future and was not directed at you or anyone specifically. :)

<edit>
Wanted to add that we really hope you will consider posting a review of whomever shipped in that manner as that is honestly unacceptable.

sasker

Arachnoprince
This seems to be a part of the tarantula hobby that gets overlooked or folks don't discuss as often.
I think that's because, luckily, the cases of proper and professional packing of tarantulas by far outnumber the number of horror stories. I never had any such horror stories. I can imagine that people who have no idea how to properly care for their tarantulas will do an awful job preparing them for shipping as well. But there is no excuse for vendors to do a shoddy job as this is supposed to be their profession.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I'd like to hear people's stories about bad shipments. This seems to be a part of the tarantula hobby that gets overlooked or folks don't discuss as often. I've had a few in my day from people that downright horrendously packed animals or shipped in ways that should never even happen. Here is two pics of one of the recent said shipments. Yes it was shipped like shown and luckily the animal was received alive and well. As for me I was oblivious as to how this person shipped said animal and I have more pics to show how this person justified doing this.
View attachment 390218
View attachment 390219
<edit> I have never recieved a package like that before, it looks like they were shipping you something that wasn't alive. I'm glad the spider was ok, I suppose it means this is an acceptable way to ship animals. It would scare me too

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
<edit> I have never recieved a package like that before, it looks like they were shipping you something that wasn't alive. I'm glad the spider was ok, I suppose it means this is an acceptable way to ship animals. It would scare me too
This should never be an acceptable way to ship any animal. Be it an ant or larger reptile it should have a insulated box. If you can't afford the proper way to ship your animals than you shouldn't be doing business. Luckily most vendors do make sure they use insulated boxes and use the proper shipping service for the animal they ship.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
This should never be an acceptable way to ship any animal. Be it an ant or larger reptile it should have a insulated box. If you can't afford the proper way to ship your animals than you shouldn't be doing business. Luckily most vendors do make sure they use insulated boxes and use the proper shipping service for the animal they ship.
I agree, it's a living thing, not a product

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
fortunately (knock on wood) i have always had good experiences with the shippers I’ve used but gd are the OP pix awful 😞

Sambro

Arachnosquire
Only had 1 DOA, and it was quickly replaced. Just unlucky really.

The only other horror story for myself is recently I had to collect my T's a day late, but they were all fine and seemed keen to get in their new enclosures.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I've gotten all kinds of things shipped really crappy like that, but, fortunately not tarantulas.

Somebody sent me a 200+ year old cast iron pan in a mailer like that. I had paid $20 for shipping and $200+ for the pan, more than enough to pack it well in a box. Instead, they got to refund me the whole thing and a rare piece got to go to the trash. Gotta love stingy stupid people who screw themselves over.

I've ordered a ton of tarantulas in the past, they've all come in boxes, some with professional looking insulation, some with cobbled together insulation, but, everything survived and was what I would call well-packed.