shipping grownups

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
so, how would one ship a mature (or a larger-sized) tarantula? tupperware container? large mayo jar? an empty plastic 2-liter bottle of cherry coke?!

and what would one use to "soften the bumps" encountered during an overnight delivery? styrofoam packing peanuts? leftover christmas wrapping paper? dozens of mcdonald's napkins?

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HI Krystal,

I wrap the T in lightly moist paper towel.
put the t in the smallest container it will fit in.then pad with more paper towel(dry).then pad the bottom of the box with packing peanuts, or shredded paper, old xmas paper. Put the t in then pad the rest of the box.so the t won't be bounced around.then add heat pack if needed. hope this helps
Bryan

Cronoss Exotic Bugs

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by mmmmdonuts
HI Krystal,

I wrap the T in lightly moist paper towel.
[/URL]
Uh huh...:?:rolleyes: :?...And how do you go about doing that?

I've thought about this before, but couldn't think of how to do it.

Jon

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Uh huh...:?:rolleyes: :?...And how do you go about doing that?

I've thought about this before, but couldn't think of how to do it.

Jon
the way I do it is take a damp paper towel and form it in the bottom of the container up to where the lid will go, then the t goes in, then the other paper towel cupped around the t under the lid with a little extra to make sort of a seal to the other towel.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

For larger T's(largest ive shipped was a 6.5" Phormictopus) I use the bathub as a buffer zone so that neither the spider nor I am hurt. Put moist(not wet or you could kill it) warm paper towels(Some paper towels arent very sterile, so I microwave mine for 1:00+ and let them cool off, still moist) around the edges and sides of your tupperware container, which shouldnt be much larger then the T. I then close the top until the T settles, open the top a crack and methodically stuff more paper towels in until I can turn it upside down/throw it around without the T knowing. Most of them when cornered in a container will scrunch up, so aggressive T's arent really a problem. Then you place them in a styrofoam box filled with peanuts, and tape the tupperware to the bottom of it(with a heat pack under newspaper if neccesary). Place the box in a shipping box, fill that with peanuts. And your set. I'd be careful about using very large containers for the T, since alot of them will find a way to wiggle around all the paper towel, this could theoretically put it in a dangerous position. smaller= no where to roam.

a good number here can validify that my shipping measures work well.

-V