Shipping Arachnids

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Question, Does anyone know how to ship an arachnid? Such as how to package it, what to use, what mail company, ect.

Bridget

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we usually take a 50 dram vile (wont work for the huge species of course, then we use deli cups) and put a wadded up moistened paper towel in it. then we gently usher the t into the vile, and even more gently place more wadded up moistened paper towel on top, to where the t is not crushed, but cannot move a bunch either. then we fill a small box halfway with wadded up newspaper, put the vilein the middle upright, and more newspaper on top. a heat pack if necessary, if not, tape it up, address it mark it live animals, and ship it out, fedex. just make sure the vile cant tumble about, and the t cant slam around in the vile and you should be fine.

(in case you couldnt tell from the all lowercase typing this is lycanthrope using bridgets name cause she was already signed in;P )

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
When I shipped a nearly juvie H. maculata to Michigan, I did the box in a box thing. I'm getting a head of myself. Let's try this..
1. I left the t in its jar, placing peat on top of it, to cushion it. I then put a very damp paper toweling on top.
2. I work in a warehouse, so I have a lot of styrofoam coming in. I took 2 pieces of soft styrofoam, and carved out the shape of the jar the H. mac was in.
3. I taped the jar in place, and then placed it inside a styrofoam box.
4. The styrofoam box, I placed inside a cardboard box, and I put lots of bubble wrap around it. I also added a heat pack.
I used USPS, and told them it was a "family heirloom"..*lol*

Peace,
Gillian

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't heat packs only last about four to six hours? and with using ups, you told them which side goes up right?

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It depends on the size of the spider... for small spiders (2 inches and less) I use pill vials with moist paper towel inside.

For larger spiders you can use either paper bags with shredded damp newspaper or you can use a deli cup with damp paper towel.

Pack them in a small box surrounded in shredded paper, styrofoam peanuts, or anything similar to cushion and insulate.
2 forty hour hot packs (they make these specific for shippinglive animals) should be placed in this small box... one on the top and one on the bottom. Be careful not to have the hotpacks too close to the containers with spiders in them.

Place this small box in a larger box filled with shredded paper or packing peanuts. This helps insulate and cushion more of the shock.

Voila! You should have safely transported spiders (I ship spiders weekly in case you doubt anything here)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
Don't heat packs only last about four to six hours? and with using ups, you told them which side goes up right?
I used a 40 hr pack..and yes, had arrows on the box..

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
where can one purchase 40 hr heat packs?

i'm going to ask around the expos around here this weekend.