Shipping Aquatic Inverts?

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have wanted to know how to ship things such as diving beetles, water bugs/scorpians, back swimmers, aquatic snails, ect........ and have not found it by searching old post. So how do you guys ship them?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they are all pretty easy, just put them in a delicup/very wet papertowel,sphagnum moss,few airholes on top of the delicup,doesn't have to be soaken wet,but wet,that's how i shipped stuff like that never a problem.hope this helps.:)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive heard ya got some giant diving beetles up there(dytiscus sp) had 1 awhile ago from somebody who lives up there,and man this was the biggest dytiscus ive seen:clap:

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yep we have some big ones, but unfortunately the only ones I have found that are that huge have been dead. I am trying to find some living large diving beetles to keep as pets. I do have a lot of these smaller diving beetles that are about 3/4" big right now.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they are awesome:clap: ive kept many sp. they are like little piranhas when it comes to feeding time.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I've heard of Belostomatidae bugs being shipped in wet leaves -- so I assume paper towels would be a suitable artificial substitute.

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would aquatic snails be shipped the same way.

Thanks for your replies,

Jeremy

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got some Abedus herberti sent in java moss. They did fine sent this way, no casualties among the adults. The babies did cannibalize significantly during transit however.