She's molting right now!!! I suppose it thought it was ready to early and it's doing it upright?

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
I don't have a picture but the sling is almost done!! It did it upright I have never seen a tarantula do that before!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes, it happens sometimes. I'm sure it will be fine. :)

You could've used your other thread for this, you know. ;)

In any case, I've seen pictures of your T and its enclosure in your picture thread and I would really recommend putting your sling in a smaller enclosure once it has hardened up. That kritter keeper looks way too big with too much height. Also, the substrate looks awfully dry. Slings of almost any species should be kept on slightly moist substrate. Does it have a water dish in there? Or maybe wet sphagnum moss? It will need a drink after moulting.

Maybe have another look at this thread:

There's a great section on sling care as well. :)

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
Yes, it happens sometimes. I'm sure it will be fine. :)

You could've used your other thread for this, you know. ;)

In any case, I've seen pictures of your T and its enclosure in your picture thread and I would really recommend putting your sling in a smaller enclosure once it has hardened up. That kritter keeper looks way too big with too much height. Also, the substrate looks awfully dry. Slings of almost any species should be kept on slightly moist substrate. Does it have a water dish in there? Or maybe wet sphagnum moss? It will need a drink after moulting.

Maybe have another look at this thread:

There's a great section on sling care as well. :)
Oh man I did a ton of research before I got the sling lol and the only other enclosure we have got moldy because of poor ventilation. I do have a water dish in there for it actually earlier today it sat in it like it was a beanbag lol I think it wanted to be wet before molt so it would be easier to molt.

It's done molting yay!!! 20200626_233221.jpg I'm going to cherish this forever!

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Congrats to your sling on a successful moult! :)

Oh man I did a ton of research before I got the sling lol and the only other enclosure we have got moldy because of poor ventilation.
As for the enclosure, you don't need much, a 16 oz deli cup or any other smaller plastic container will do, something you will get in any supermarket, but I wouldn't keep it in that oversized kritter keeper any longer. Someone mentioned the possibility of an escape in your other thread... well, now, that your sling has moulted and is thinner than before, it becomes a real risk IMO.

You say you did a lot of research, then you might have come across @Tomoran's sling care guide, if not, watch it. The links to the videos are in the thread I linked earlier. He gives some good examples of smaller enclosures.

You can put it back into the kritter keeper in a few years when it's big enough for it. ;)