She's acting strange...

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G.Rosea, "Ophelia", is acting strange. First off, she has an affinity for climbing the sides of her tank, then cruising upside down across the mesh lid. Then, she refused to eat for almost two months. (She finally ate a fat cricket today!:) ) And two days ago, she dug a burrow up against the glass, half the length of her tank! And yes, she filled her water dish with dirt when she did. Did I get an insane spider?:?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think rosies and usambars are the official insane T's of the T world.
:D

Infinity

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by indigoeyes
My G.Rosea, "Ophelia", is acting strange. First off, she has an affinity for climbing the sides of her tank, then cruising upside down across the mesh lid. Then, she refused to eat for almost two months. (She finally ate a fat cricket today!:) ) And two days ago, she dug a burrow up against the glass, half the length of her tank! And yes, she filled her water dish with dirt when she did. Did I get an insane spider?:?
If your rose is spending alot of time on the roof of the enclosure, she may have a problem with the substrate that she's on... As for not eating, I wouldn't worry about that. Roses can go for weeks (if not months) without eating with no harm done. They are very seasonal creatures.

As for the water dish, ALL of my Grammostolas do this. I used to go in right away and unearth the water dish and refill it, only to find it buried again the next day. Now, I just go in after it once every couple of weeks and clean it up. :)

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. emilia fills up her waterbowl regularly too when she goes on a burrowing spree. I just empty it and refill until the next day when she does it again :D

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still kinda sketchy about the burrowing. I didn't think Roseas were burrowers.? Ah well, as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

And hey, it wasn't in the middle where I couldn't see her! Bonus!:D

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did I get an insane spider?:?
No, you got a Rosie :p
As you may have noticed by now, Rosies are pretty "eccentric" spiders, and will do strange things sometimes, seemingly for the sole purpose of confusing their keepers...

As for the climbing, though, you may have her humidity too high. Remember that Rosies like it *very dry* :)

Other than that, everything is normal (even the fasting :) )

Good luck w/ her

Flannery

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I mentioned Ophelia's burrowing in a pet store, the guy behind the counter said she might be getting ready to drop an eggsack!!! :eek: I hope he was just misinformed on this! The pet store I bought her in wasn't sure if she was captive bred or not. The entire inside of her burrow, and a path to her water bowl is lined in a thick layer of silk. Please tell me this is fairly normal and she's just insane!
Don't get me wrong, I love Ts and slings, but I don't really want a couple hundred of them at once!

Urgh!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When I mentioned Ophelia's burrowing in a pet store, the guy behind the counter said she might be getting ready to drop an eggsack!!! :eek: I hope he was just misinformed on this! The pet store I bought her in wasn't sure if she was captive bred or not. The entire inside of her burrow, and a path to her water bowl is lined in a thick layer of silk. Please tell me this is fairly normal and she's just insane!
Don't get me wrong, I love Ts and slings, but I don't really want a couple hundred of them at once!

Urgh!
First off, exactly how thick do you mean? I'm getting a feeling that it is just normal webbing around her place for the purposes of vibration and such. If this is the case, it is perfectly normal. If you do get an egg, I'd be happy to take them off your hands:D

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Silk is thick enough so that I can't see cricket corpses...
But if I do get an eggsack, it's all yours! You just have to figure out how to get it out of Ophelia's burrow without her flipping out.:D

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
o_O

I hope that you & your "crazy":} T start to feel more comfortable, Maybe she is dropping a sack, maybe you just got yourself a average Rosey, but either one, best of luck!!

God bless y'all,

Ben

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. Rosea does the same things every now and then. It's a funny thing you mention it, because she's getting into one of her weird spells right now.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G.rosea's aren't "boring" -- they're the best!

Don't let the subject fool you --
i'm referring to the many many many many many pages inbooks and on the internet talking about how G.rosea is a 'pet rock' and boring -- i don't find that to be the case at all!!!

out of all 15 of my T's, my G.rosea's ALWAYS have something on -- its wierd. Whether its stretched out FLAT with legs fully extended to laying upside weaving webs over his body then jumping up and ruining the web-hammock to propping herself up on her head, upside down, G.rosea's are the best!!!

I mean yes, some are very sedentary, but come on, there's always something going on -- I find that the sedentary G.rosea's are handleable, while the ones that have more 'taranulality' can't be handled. In fact, all my crazy G.rosea's are the meanest punks in the world. In fact, my T.blondi's are much nicer than my G.rosea's, but we must remember -- these are animals. Generalizations don't fly to far.

at any rate, i've made my point, and you'll all agree. If not, you're still agreeing in myhead :)

peace