She's a small adult, how big an enclosure?

Salmon

Arachnopeon
I've just gotten my first true spider, a black hole spider (Kukulcania arizonica) and she's so tiny and cute!

I had WAY too big a tank prepared for her, a 5 gal with a couple of buried pieces of wood for crevice building, but her leg span is only about a bit bigger than a soda pop cap. I've put her in a small tupperware with some substrate, water and a hide, but I'm not sure what I should do for her next. Should I go ahead and put her in the big tank? It utterly dwarfs her, and I'm not sure if she's going to get much bigger.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Should I go ahead and put her in the big tank? It utterly dwarfs her, and I'm not sure if she's going to get much bigger.
Kuks don't need anywhere near 5 gallons, though if you give them more room and anchor points for webbing, over many months they will eventually web it up.

I like Kritter Keepers for my adult female Kuks. I have also successfully kept them in pickle jars.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
Kuks don't need anywhere near 5 gallons, though if you give them more room and anchor points for webbing, over many months they will eventually web it up.

I like Kritter Keepers for my adult female Kuks. I have also successfully kept them in pickle jars.
I have no idea where I got the idea that they got very big at all. I think I've just seen exceptionally large ones?? And all the things I put together to make holes and crevices for her were big so I figured... I have this 5 gal, it should be fine. But she's a tiny baby... I love her

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Good luck with her! A small Exo Terra breeding box should work but if that's still too big, they make small acrylic containers that you could buy online. They don't take up much space and look really nice once they are set up.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have no idea where I got the idea that they got very big at all. I think I've just seen exceptionally large ones??
The biggest ones I ever see are maybe 2" tops (in leg span).

The big cage won't hurt her; she just doesn't need that much space.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
The biggest ones I ever see are maybe 2" tops (in leg span).

The big cage won't hurt her; she just doesn't need that much space.
We must grow em big down here. Most of the captive ones I've seen have been right around 2 in!!