Shelving

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've searched and searched, but I still can't find information on shelving.

To those who have built your own shelves:

How were they set up?

How can I ensure stability on a carpeted floor with two 20 gallon tanks on the bottom shelf and a row of four to 6 10 gallon tanks in the middle row?

I need this shelf to be roughly the height of my ceiling. How can I ensure stability?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Usually anchoring to the wall works. But what are you building them out of?
Wood, most likely. Maybe if I can find some decently strong premade shelfs (or assemble yourself), I'll go that route.

Slings will be on the top, adults below that...any and all tanks will be arranged so the heaviest stuff is at the bottom.

However, the fabrication part is what is getting me right now.

Anchoring the shelf to anything is out of the question.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you can't anchor it just make sure it has a nice wide base.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know you plan to build your own. But do you have an IKEA store near by?

I use the IVAR solid pine shelving. This stuff is awesome, very versatile, lots of options, you can always add on to it, and reasonably priced.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
shelves

home depot has some great plastic racks.
and stronger 1's with steel beams and thick wooden shelves
both around 6' high and hold like 500-1000lbs each

cheap like 40 or so for the plastic 1's
but more for the metal 1

stay away from the all metal 1's with the sheetmetal shelves the look strong but are really flimsy

oh yea the plastic 1's come in 18" wide and 24" wide
later
tom :4:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i didn't build my own..but this is a fairly cheap shelving system. its all plastic but is very sturdy.

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use black wire shelving units from Walmart or Menards, They go together easily without tools and hold like 250 or 350 lbs per shelf.

The 36" wide ones hold a 20L on each shelf perfectly and they're adjustable to any shelf height. The 4 shelf is $30 and I have one holding 3 20L tanks and 1 10g on top.

Iggy

Arachnopeon
I know you plan to build your own. But do you have an IKEA store near by?

I use the IVAR solid pine shelving. This stuff is awesome, very versatile, lots of options, you can always add on to it, and reasonably priced.
you can also go to ikea.com and shop their catalog online. I use the Billy book shelves with glass doors, they look nice and the doors make an extra barrier between the ts and my cat. They also come with a mounting bracket to attach the top to the wall to keep from falling over. Good luck Iggy

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The L-bracket wall anchors will ensure that the shelves don't go anywhere. It's a small sheet-metal L (usually 2"x2" or so) with holes on both ends. You screw one side of the 'L' into the top of the shelves and the other end into the wall. If you make sure to hit a stud or use a drywall anchor, that shelf won't go anywhere until you take the screws out. Most pre-built shelving kits come with them, but you should be able to get them in any hardware store for under $0.50.

If you're building your own and you want security on each individual shelf, you could do something as simple as nailing a piece of 1/4-round to the front of each shelf, creating a lip on the front so nothing can slide off. This solution has cured all of my cat worries.

Do you have other animals/small children that you're worrying about?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If looks are not real important, Sam's club has some real solid metal wire shelving units.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Best stability is provided by building the shelf with a backwall. There you can nail/screw on all the other pieces and it will be earthquake safe.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you almost answered your own question if you need them nearly the height of your ceiling why not make it the height of your ceiling and attach it to it there are usually some lovely beams running through your ceiling area just right for you to screw a couple of brackets too.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
If looks are not real important, Sam's club has some real solid metal wire shelving units.
I use these as well
I enclosed the unit and the wire shelves allows for ventilation within :)