She was doing so well...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's a shame, sorry you had to experience this..any ideas why?

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
i don't know.. maybe the temperature? ugh, i feel horrible. My husband has already asked me if I want to get another... but I kinda don't. What if I kill that one too? She literally went from having these cute walks around at night to just... dead.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I am sorry for your loss. Things happen with slings like deaths with no explanation. It most likely was nothing done wrong on your part. Take a little time, grieve and reassess. Get back in the game and enjoy the next one. Hope it ends up a female that you'll have for a decade or more

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's revolting when you lose a pet. I've gone through it recently with a beautiful mantis. After some soul searching I let myself have another. And she's doing great.

I'm not sure the reasons you went for a sling (money, to see it grow etc) but if you're able I'd recommend you buy a juvenile or sub adult female.

They're more robust at that age and you're guaranteed the sex.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Sorry :(

Frankly, this is why I buy multiples of a species if getting them as slings. They just die sometimes.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry for your loss. If it makes you feel a little more at ease don't feel too down even the best and most experienced keepers will and do lose tarantulas from time to time.
More than likely it wasn't anything you did it could've been an internal problem and as these sometimes take a while to manifest there's little to nothing you could've done.
If at some point you find yourself wanting another tarantula then maybe get a juvenile as they are a little more hardy than slings.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Get a five gallon tank and get a bigger rose hair. Very nice as pets, found at any pet store, are cheap and I've not heard of anyone killing one. Super easy and a good first step.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
i don't know.. maybe the temperature? ugh, i feel horrible. My husband has already asked me if I want to get another... but I kinda don't. What if I kill that one too? She literally went from having these cute walks around at night to just... dead.
Slings are a lot more fragile and are much easier to lose. I'd suggest looking for a juvenile which will be much hardier. Once your used to that then maybe try another sling.

I'm sorry for your loss.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I'm so sorry for your loss! :( As other have said, it is probably nothing you did. I don't know what your experience is, but if it would help, you could post a more complete picture of the enclosure and some description of care and see if any of us spots a potential problem or at least suggest something that could be tried differently.

Small slings do seem to be more fragile or perhaps even die for unpreventable reasons, but I think that most of this is past once they reach 1" DLS or so, at least in my limited experience with relatively hardy species.

I have had to experience this all too often with various millipede species I keep, including some that were supposed to be "easy". :( And my poison dart frogs which I spent months preparing for went from seemingly happy and hoppy to just, dead. It always feels horrible.
I very much hope that you get to experience the other side -- of seeing a tarantula flourish and grow in size and beauty with its every molt, of having creatures reproduce and bring new life into the world under your care. :)
I would encourage you to get another tarantula or three when you feel ready. It may seems strange to suggest getting several, especially after a loss, but if you are like me, you may be prone to watch and worry and these creatures don't benefit so much from that and most often just need minimal care and patience -- so it is helpful to me at least to have more to spread that out among. ;)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Sometimes it happens. I had great luck with my first couple of slings - and then lost a juvie P. irminia to a bad molt last spring within a few weeks of getting her. Sometimes slings die, no matter how well you're taking care of them. There's a fairly high rate of mortality with slings, whether in the wild or in captivity - that's why egg sacs contain so many babies, so that some survive. It's hard investing your time, efforts, and emotions in a new pet and then inexplicably losing it. You have my sympathy, but don't let this loss put you off the hobby. There is no need to rush off and buy a new sling right away, but when you're ready, don't be discouraged or afraid to try again. While I can't guarantee that you won't suffer future losses, I can tell you that the rewards of keeping these fascinating little creatures make up for the occasional losses.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all the kind words and advice. I was so upset. this was my first T and she was moving around just fine then all of a sudden the next day... gone. I don't think I will be getting a new T right away but I possibly will get a new one since my husband and mother insist I try again. They know that this was important to me not only for having a pet but also to get over my extreme fear of spiders. Blaze (my T) was really helping me with my fear alot. As far as getting a juvie or older, they are SO hard to find in that breed (euathulus species red.) and that is the only kind I want at this time. Maybe next time will be better...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you chose the E.sp.Red because of its gentle nature, there are others that fit that position. P.scrofa, T.cyaneolum, to name a few.
Don't get a new one because your family puts pressure on you, even if it is for therapeutic purposes. You have to be comfortable with a new one, in your own time, at your own pace.
Maybe spend some time reading about them, here on the boards, to get an idea what you would like.
Take it easy, and don't be too hard on yourself ;)

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
ok it's almost 4 am here... and I just realized I said breed instead of species... ugh.. i need to go to bed. You know what I meant lol

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you for all the kind words and advice. I was so upset. this was my first T and she was moving around just fine then all of a sudden the next day... gone. I don't think I will be getting a new T right away but I possibly will get a new one since my husband and mother insist I try again. They know that this was important to me not only for having a pet but also to get over my extreme fear of spiders. Blaze (my T) was really helping me with my fear alot. As far as getting a juvie or older, they are SO hard to find in that breed (euathulus species red.) and that is the only kind I want at this time. Maybe next time will be better...
I feel your pain. :( These are indeed wonderful species but, based on my own limited experience with them, I would advise waiting until there are captive-bred juveniles or older available. I say that not because I object to collecting from the wild so long as it's done responsibly, but because you don't know how old the individuals are or if they might have some disease. I lost my adult female Euathlus sp. red only months after I got her as she declined in health and then passed. I tried to take comfort in knowing I had done all I could and hopefully made her last days as comfortable as possible and she was able to pass in peace, but it was still devastating as I had looked forward to having her for many years to come. :( And you are right -- in this species, I have ONLY ever seen tiny slings and rarely, wild-caught adults, for sale.

Based on my limited experience, I would recommend Brachypelma smithi. While certainly not the same temperament, they are generally very calm. It might be ideal to get a juvenile of known gender and disposition. My very first tarantula was a B. smithi sling (bought on a whim, I'll confess) and they were very hardy, surviving my newbie mistakes, and it has been a joy to watch them grow in size, beauty and confidence. :) I too was in the process of overcoming a fear of spiders and this tarantula and others have been a great help to me.

My B. smithi about a month after I purchased them this past February:

And after their latest molt at the end of September:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The title reminds me of a tomb in Napoli cemetary: a picture showing an old man raising the finger (muahahah) with written (in Italian)
"He was fine a day ago"

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Based on my limited experience, I would recommend Brachypelma smithi. While certainly not the same temperament, they are generally very calm. It might be ideal to get a juvenile of known gender and disposition. My very first tarantula was a B. smithi sling (bought on a whim, I'll confess) and they were very hardy, surviving my newbie mistakes, and it has been a joy to watch them grow in size, beauty and confidence. :) I too was in the process of overcoming a fear of spiders and this tarantula and others have been a great help to me.

That is pretty cool!!! I never really wanted a sling because of how fragile they are. especially since the species I am wanting are very slow growing. But again.. you can't really find euathulus species red anywhere except a sling and when you find them older... they get snatched up so quickly. I also don't always have the funds for the older ones. It's kinda funny. My plan has always been to get the euthulus... grow with that one and grow out of my fear... then once I have loved that one and been good at that goal... by an adult b. smithi. They are beautiful. But I admit... an adult that size and possibly a lil less nicer than a euathulus species red... kinda still scares me. At least the euathulus is smaller and usually known to be more docile. I could at least handle that. The b. smithi for me is like... advanced lmao. I know it's no where near an advanced species for you all. but for me... it is. I only ever planned on having at most two Ts. And it's those two species. I never wanted nor do I want a rose hair or a curly hair.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
that sucks, take some time, and if you decide to reenter the hobby try starting out with a juvenile. or an adult, you will be glad you did