Sharing some G. caffrorum Pics!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hello! I have owned these G. caffrorum for the past year/year and a half. Never expected them to breed, as I have always read they needed a little moisture. However, their population EXPLODED as soon as the initial individuals turned into adults. Now, I have a 5 gallon full of hundreds of them and hoping to move them into a 10 gallon. Keep them bone dry with dog food and fruits available. Figured I’d share some pics of them feeding, they’re now my favorite roaches in my collection :D

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@WeightedAbyss75, thanks! I will PM you. I don't think I'll be able to purchase/trade any for a while, as I am currently lacking in funds (I think we all know how that feels) and the summer heat is on, but I'd like to know a little more about pricing, shipping, etc.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Hello! I have owned these G. caffrorum for the past year/year and a half. Never expected them to breed, as I have always read they needed a little moisture. However, their population EXPLODED as soon as the initial individuals turned into adults. Now, I have a 5 gallon full of hundreds of them and hoping to move them into a 10 gallon. Keep them bone dry with dog food and fruits available. Figured I’d share some pics of them feeding, they’re now my favorite roaches in my collection :D
Very beautiful species. I was going to get them but my fiance was not to happy when I got Gyna lurida yellow and Gyna centurio. Once she found out they could fly she made me promise I'll get rid of all of them .

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Very beautiful species. I was going to get them but my fiance was not to happy when I got Gyna lurida yellow and Gyna centurio. Once she found out they could fly she made me promise I'll get rid of all of them .
Unfortunate! Not gonna lie, a few adults have escaped since there are so many in my 5 gallon. Usually I catch them because their hard to miss or they dehydrate and die. Maybe one day ;) Education and persistence helped for me with my mom. Once she knew how cool they were and that they couldn’t breed if they got out, she was cool with them.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Unfortunate! Not gonna lie, a few adults have escaped since there are so many in my 5 gallon. Usually I catch them because their hard to miss or they dehydrate and die. Maybe one day ;) Education and persistence helped for me with my mom. Once she knew how cool they were and that they couldn’t breed if they got out, she was cool with them.
I wish that was the case but she's not budging on this one. I'm lucky I had to keep my millipedes. She has a phobia of things with lots of legs. Not sure what that's called but once she saw my Florida ivories she came around. She's still deathly afraid of my Archispirostreptus gigas "African giant millipedes" only because of their size and how strong they are. I'm hoping I can get her to see just how beautiful tarantulas are.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I can agree with @WeightedAbyss75; education, gentle persistence, and exposure to some of the more beautiful or interesting species usually works over time. But hey; there are plenty of non-flying roaches which are awesome too!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
I can agree with @WeightedAbyss75; education, gentle persistence, and exposure to some of the more beautiful or interesting species usually works over time. But hey; there are plenty of non-flying roaches which are awesome too!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I have other roaches that don't fly. I thought my Halloween hissers would bring her around but they didn't work. She hates my giant cave roaches and death heads also. So we made a deal I'm trading all my roaches for isopods but once we move to a bigger place I'm going to start up my collection again.
On the plus side she finally gave in to me on getting dart frogs. I'm sure once she finds out I'm breeding flies for them she'll freak out lol.