Share Your Atypical Tarantula Behavior

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Just curious if anyone has experiences from their tarantulas they would like to share. Specifically, behavior that is not considered "the norm".

I have read many times that tarantulas do not like soft stuff, preferring to walk/rest on firm ground. My Pterinopelma sazimai however routinely walks and rests on the patch of "Frog Moss" I placed in the corner.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Took this just now. Dim lighting and blurry photo cause it's night time. Have considered adding more moss seeing as shes on it so often. 20170522_012718_HDR.jpg

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Don't know how typical or atypical it is. But, one of my avic slings always webs up its molt and bolus, then hangs them from a branch. Like a Christmas ornament.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Don't know how typical or atypical it is. But, one of my avic slings always webs up its molt and bolus, then hangs them from a branch. Like a Christmas ornament.
My A. metallica has done this before. I'm much more grateful for that than when she dumps the bolus in her water bowl, haha.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My A. avic used to do this, he'd hang up any boluses like they were trophies, I think he'd seen Predator a few too many times.

tomlinln

Arachnopeon
My GBB seems to love water. I've read a lot of people say they've never seen their spider drink, but mine takes a little sip all the time. And even if he's not thirsty, he likes to hang out next to his dish and dangle a foot in it. Buddy, you're from arid Venezuelan scrubland. What are you doing?

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I used to keep my E. sp. red, Gordita, in a low-lying Kritter Keeper. They have those air hole slots, you know the kind, like long columns along the sides. My crazy girl loved sticking her feet out of these, and waving them around. :rofl: As silly as it was, it really made me nervous that she would end up hurting the protruding leg(s) in the event she lost her lost grip. :bored:

Now my spoiled girl has an acrylic enclosure, without any pesky air columns. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My GBB seems to love water. I've read a lot of people say they've never seen their spider drink, but mine takes a little sip all the time. And even if he's not thirsty, he likes to hang out next to his dish and dangle a foot in it. Buddy, you're from arid Venezuelan scrubland. What are you doing?
I regularly see mine perched over her water dish, I've never seen her drink though.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Well, my L. parahybana and my B. emilia is a bit... weird. They are not that big hunters, as a spider has to be. :vamp: The LP is always misses the target. Right, it can happen, but he/she always have to take 3-4 shots, to catch the prey. Once, a roach ran into its hide, and spidey ran out in fear, like "what the heck was that?". It than realized, that it was his/her dinner, so he/she ran back to the hide... and guess what happened. Yes, the roach escaped. :rofl:
The B. emilia is, well... bored to death. Yeah, I know they are pet rocks, but I have seen her hunt only once or twice. Not so long ago, the spider was standing in a corner. I dropped a roach for it, but nothing happened. An hour later, he/she munched the roach in the same corner, in the same position. I think, the T waited for the roach to walk into its mouth. I found the bolus the next day... in the same corner. :)

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
My OBT male is afraid of roaches. If I hold it with my tong, he carefully takes it. But if it's loose, he teleports up on the wall, really tense with legs pull up in stress. Crickets and superworms are no problem. It's the only time I have seen him move. :)

Timc

Arachnosquire
My B. Emilia is actually one of my more active spiders, he/she is usually always busy digging holes and filling them back up. Pretty cute.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
My OBT male is afraid of roaches. If I hold it with my tong, he carefully takes it. But if it's loose, he teleports up on the wall, really tense with legs pull up in stress. Crickets and superworms are no problem. It's the only time I have seen him move. :)
Are those Dubias? Because my spiders are not big fans of them either. But they really like B. lateralis roaches. I too like them much more than crickets and Dubias. They are always... running. :)

My B. Emilia is actually one of my more active spiders, he/she is usually always busy digging holes and filling them back up. Pretty cute.
It is great that different specimens have various behavior. :rofl: The new spider is always a secret, even if it is the same species.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I used to keep my E. sp. red, Gordita, in a low-lying Kritter Keeper. They have those air hole slots, you know the kind, like long columns along the sides. My crazy girl loved sticking her feet out of these, and waving them around. :rofl: As silly as it was, it really made me nervous that she would end up hurting the protruding leg(s) in the event she lost her lost grip. :bored:

Now my spoiled girl has an acrylic enclosure, without any pesky air columns. :rolleyes:
As the legends says, these little guys are big adventurers. I have 2 teeny tiny slings (both of them are ~0.3"), they are always active. Usually, they build their little burrows or hangs from the sides of their home. :)

Tulip28

Arachnopeon
My B. emilia (juvie, possible female) is a savage beast lately. She leapt off her hide and caught a cricket basically upside down this weekend. She's one of my favorites, so its been *awesome* watching her hunt, especially after her month-long fast before molting...lol.

My G. rosea kicked hairs at us (from inside her enclosure) the day we brought her home and then molted the same day. While not atypical, I thought it was a very exciting first day for a tarantula often described as a pet rock.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@MGery92 - Absolutely! I also have a small sling, both it and the adult are always on the go. My female constantly runs laps and lines the walls of her closure with silk, about two inches from the top. She never sits still.