Shallow Cave Roosting Opiliones in Texas

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Searching for Limestone Caves in Central Texas we stubbled upon a roost of about 150-200 individual Opiliones. There was so much invertebrate life in this water drain hole in the limestone, and I was amazed to see such an impressive roost of Opiliones. Just wanted to share with you all these unidentified harvestmen. Tons of multicolored isopods, some unknown wide bodied roaches, brown recluse, and some aquatic shells type looking shells of gastropods were also seen here. I did get bit by something, bicep is getting red, hope it wasn’t a recluse 😳🤪😎

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That's so awesome looking! Interesting to see a cave cricket in there too with the opiliones (0:28).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
That's so awesome looking! Interesting to see a cave cricket in there too with the opiliones (0:28).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah I found it to be truly amazing!! We were going to dig in this spot but when we saw all of these roosting we decided not too as this was a pretty healthy community we did not want to disturb, at least I didnt, and my friend respected my wish not to disturb them.

And wow! my head was down in that hole filming and I didnt even notice that, good eye!!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I often encounter that dilemma too; to disturb, or not to disturb? Usually (and sometimes wrongly) I choose the latter.

Yeah, I an orthopteran leg in there and had to see what it was. Very diverse for such a small cave!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I often encounter that dilemma too; to disturb, or not to disturb? Usually (and sometimes wrongly) I choose the latter.

Yeah, I an orthopteran leg in there and had to see what it was. Very diverse for such a small cave!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah Im usually on the later side as well!!

And to touch on that I was absolutely amazed by the diversity of life in that small cave, water darains down somehow I just cant see and I suspect there is water below in some degreee or fashion in a cave system and bringing a lot of moisture up and out, in this area of texas I have never seen so much invert life congregated in one area. There was a bunch of juvenile brown recluse as well above the cave in between sheets on limestone. It is a key feature I believe that there is still something going on geologically due to a higher percentage of moisture.