Sexy 1” ummidia (can someone identify? Male or female?)

Juliansatx

Arachnopeon
*disclaimer- I’m not educated in spiders at all (although Ive always admired them from afar) and the only reason why I know a part of his name is because of google*

So I was just on my patio, putting some stuff away before the next batch of thunderstorms rolls through and I saw this sexy beast walking by. My 4 yr old was out there and he wanted to take a closer look, so I caught him. I measured him with my iPhone and did some research. He’s 1” exactly. 10 Black legs, black abdomen and his “sack” (pardon me for lack of a better term, it’s just ignorance) is a brown in color. Also, on the back of his sack, he has 4 cool looking spots, (2 ) On each side. From what I read, this species is safe, so with this being said, I should just let him go in the yard?
Random thought,
If I do decide to keep him as a pet (I read they make good pets), can anyone give me advice if he or she would indeed make a good pet with a 4 yr old that has no desire to actually handle it his self? Is it male or female? What does one of these guys $$$ at the pet store? TIA!

Thanks much!

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I haven't got much information, but as I recall, a trapdoor spider found wandering around outside is probably an adult male, which means it won't live all that long. Beyond that I got nothing :confused: but it's a beautiful find!