sexual dimorphism

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I know of a few species that are sexualy dimorphic.

P cancerides and P irminias

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my own so can't post photos
So are there other species and post pictures please if you have them

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
The two I listed are different based on color.
what are the differences of those 3

creepa

Arachnoknight
All species are sexual dimorphic...
But with most of the species you dont see this until the male matures or when you sex the molt.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Pamphobeteus platyomma. Gorgeous purple pattern on the males.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
1.0 Pelinobius muticus are little (really little, check P.muticus breeding pics) definitely IMO ugly and worth nothing 'per se' aside for breeding, and do not possess that particular rear legs shape that the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) has.

Praise the Goddess!

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
In this case i am refering to differences
In color or shape or patterns not differences in genital construction.

In the case of P cancerides the male is purple while the female is brown

cold blood

Staff member
1.0 Pelinobius muticus are little (really little, check P.muticus breeding pics) definitely IMO ugly and worth nothing 'per se' aside for breeding, and do not possess that particular rear legs shape that the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) has.

Praise the Goddess!
Those back legs are a perfect example of dimorphism.

Borneo blacks have color differences that can distinguish males are a relatively young age.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In this case i am refering to differences
In color or shape or patterns not differences in genital construction.

In the case of P cancerides the male is purple while the female is brown
Yup, those rear legs shape of the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) is a perfect example of that, another you would like comes with Ephebopus murinus: IMO 1.0 aren't so 'Skeleton' at all... more a brownish dull sort of, while 0.1 Ephebopus murinus looks like Glenn Danzig when he was in Misfits :-s

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Borneo blacks have color differences that can distinguish males are a relatively young age.
Same with the violaceopes.. Advan had created a thread on it in detail.. I believe it had something to do with one of the sexes developing orange hair earlier than the other amongst other characteristics. I looked for the thread to link it but I couldn't find it.

IMO P.ornata are a species that is relatively sexually dimorphic early on as the males go from the gray sling color to a green color stage and by four inches or so lack the boldy contrasting pattern and coloration on the abdomen and prosoma.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not only P.irminia are sexually dimorphic, the whole genus Psalmopoeus is ;)

Magenta

Arachnosquire
M. balfouri and some Poecilotheria are sexually dimorphic too, yes?

cold blood

Staff member
Same with the violaceopes.. Advan had created a thread on it in detail.. I believe it had something to do with one of the sexes developing orange hair earlier than the other amongst other characteristics. I looked for the thread to link it but I couldn't find it.
If I recall he was talking about either niggerrium or borneo black (I think the latter).... @advan correct me if I am wrong. I'd be interested if I am wrong, because I have only noticed dimorphism in the LV once the male matures.

C. schieodtei are the same.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
M. balfouri and some Poecilotheria are sexually dimorphic too, yes?
Never heard if it with regard to balfouri.. But a few pokies are...advan would now off hand which exactly...but there is a couple where the males lose the dorsal banding on their carapaces at a fairly young age...ornata and regalis I think...but I am not 100%.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Never heard if it with regard to balfouri.. But a few pokies are...advan would now off hand which exactly...but there is a couple where the males lose the dorsal banding on their carapaces at a fairly young age...ornata and regalis I think...but I am not 100%.

Okay. I googled sexual dimorphism and M. balfouri and found this:
"Monocentropus balfouri
is relatively big spider, with body length more than 7 cm(and more than 17 cm with legs). Prevailing color from bellow is black-brown,cephalothorax is markedly blue after moult, but grey-blue before moulting, abdomen islight beige from above similarly to legs, whose remaining parts are black with bluereflection.During the spring 1999, Wranik (1999) caught reddish haired exemplar. It isunder consideration that we are dealing with other colored variation, gender difference oreven other new species. However, as many males and females were checked carefully, itis almost clear that the above mentioned colored variation does not represent sexualdimorphism. Males have the same color as females, the only difference could be in thecolor of cephalothorax, which seems to be rather grey-blue in females (before moulting), but with slightly violet touch in males. Young exemplars are uni-color grey-brown."

link- http://www.academia.edu/9705016/Monocentropus_balfouri

Not sure how legit the site is though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay. I googled sexual dimorphism and M. balfouri and found this:
"Monocentropus balfouri
is relatively big spider, with body length more than 7 cm(and more than 17 cm with legs). Prevailing color from bellow is black-brown,cephalothorax is markedly blue after moult, but grey-blue before moulting, abdomen islight beige from above similarly to legs, whose remaining parts are black with bluereflection.During the spring 1999, Wranik (1999) caught reddish haired exemplar. It isunder consideration that we are dealing with other colored variation, gender difference oreven other new species. However, as many males and females were checked carefully, itis almost clear that the above mentioned colored variation does not represent sexualdimorphism. Males have the same color as females, the only difference could be in thecolor of cephalothorax, which seems to be rather grey-blue in females (before moulting), but with slightly violet touch in males. Young exemplars are uni-color grey-brown."

link- http://www.academia.edu/9705016/Monocentropus_balfouri

Not sure how legit the site is though.
I think I read something about M.balfouri as,well, the males tend to be more blue on the carapace than females...darn it, why can't I find the source :shifty: