sexual dimorphism

cold blood

Staff member
However, as many males and females were checked carefully, it is almost clear that the above mentioned colored variation does not represent sexual dimorphism.
Not according to the quote presented.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If I recall he was talking about either niggerrium or borneo black (I think the latter).... @advan correct me if I am wrong. I'd be interested if I am wrong, because I have only noticed dimorphism in the LV once the male matures.

C. schieodtei are the same.
Maybe.. I'm the most forgetfull person.. Wait what the hell were we talking about:bored:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well from my experience with M.balfouri has been this. Some males will turn very blue on the carapace and abdomen after maturing. Thesecond male I paired with Bling was almost all blue . He was quite an impressive specimen. Some will even start have a blue carapace before the ultimate molt. Not all change this drastically. Some mature males never develop the blue on the carapace or abdomen. They look more like a lanky female instead. Some of my females have a blue/light bronze hue to their carapace like their mom. Give me a sec and I will post pics of my freshly matured male. He's the largest on I've ever seen at a whopping 4 1/2 inches. But he never turned that blue. Be right pack lol

cold blood

Staff member
Well from my experience with M.balfouri has been this. Some males will turn very blue on the carapace and abdomen after maturing. Thesecond male I paired with Bling was almost all blue . He was quite an impressive specimen. Some will even start have a blue carapace before the ultimate molt. Not all change this drastically. Some mature males never develop the blue on the carapace or abdomen. They look more like a lanky female instead. Some of my females have a blue/light bronze hue to their carapace like their mom. Give me a sec and I will post pics of my freshly matured male. He's the largest on I've ever seen at a whopping 4 1/2 inches. But he never turned that blue. Be right pack lol
I was more thinking of pre-MM dimorphism.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm back. The first pic is of Bling after a molt when she was about 4 inches. 2nd pic is a immature male . 3rd pic is a mature male. The first pic of him is what he did when I was trying to get the pic. He's super flighty hence the barley open lid. IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0504.JPG

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know of a few species that are sexualy dimorphic.

P cancerides and P irminias

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my own so can't post photos
So are there other species and post pictures please if you have them
IME P.canceridies are not sexually dimorphic. My MMs looked like a lanky version of the female.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Poecilotheria ornata is the only species in the genus that can be accurately sexed at a young age dorsally. (Link is above to my thread)

Lampropelma nigerrimum is dimorphic earlier than sp. 'Borneo.' See Jason's pics here>>> Clicky @Protectyaaaneck

See my sp. 'Borneo' thread here>>> Clicky

I wouldn't consider Lampropelma violaceopes dimorphic until maturity due to seeing very blue penult males and very brown females the same size or larger.

Then there are species like Psalmopoeus irminia that everyone considers only dimorphic when the male matures but I can see some subtle differences in immature males and females. ;)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was more thinking of pre-MM dimorphism.
Well in that case. The differences I can clearly see pre mm is the females always tend to be heavier bodied and thicker legs. Also there is a difference in abdomen shape. Females are more tear drop while males have more of a long cigar shape. Sorry I was still in coffee mode when I posted earlier. But hey I had good timing on that first reply lol

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Wow,,, thanks for all the great posts. I've been out all day so this is some great info to come home to.