sexual dimorphism in B. jacksoni?

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there any information available about sexual dimorphism of B. jacksoni? I’ve noticed that I have a B. jacksoni that has much more swollen pedipalps than the others in the enclosure. The scorpion is also slightly larger and has a heavier tail. Is it possible that this is a different species of Babycurus?

Thanks,

W. Smith

Attachments

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmmmm.....Very interesting. I haven`t seen any pics of B. jacksoni with large bulbous chela like the one in youre pic. It might be a different Babycurus spp. Or Buthid anyhow.....

Mat

Will check more tommorow!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can you get a pic from the side of the stinger of this scorpion? Off overhead appearances alone, it appears to be Hottentotta sp. My best guess from this pic would be H. hottentotta. And how long, from start of the head, to tip of the tail is this scorp? I'll bet it's not even 2 inches.

adios,
edw. :?

Last edited:

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, at the moment, I don’t have easy access to a digital camera. I took these pictures a few weeks ago. Actually this guy is about 3+ inches and is living quite comfortably in 20 long with 4 other B. jacksoni. Due to size, I don’t think it is a Hottentotta. It does have an accessory spine like the other guys in the tank. Here’s a pic from a different angle. Sorry that it not the best quality…he’s not very photogenic.

W. Smith

Attachments

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is another pic that shows his relation in size to another B. jacksoni. He is on the right. Oh, and please keep in mind that I am not a photographer.

W. Smith

Attachments

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The subaculear spine is the same color as the sting...Babycurus.

adios,
edw. =D

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Infact i think its Babycurus crassicaudatus. I found a pic in the files of the scorpionfans ( mr Deranged)

Mat