sexing slings

sarahsaz

Arachnopeon
hi everyone.
this might seem like a dumb question, i kow how to sex spiders using a moult but are there any ways of tryin to sex a juvenile spiderling externally, i have heard of a few and i know none of these ways are guaranteed but i just want an idea of what i have, i have a juvenile red knee, brazilian black and a chile rose all between three and 6 cm in legspan , greatly appreciated if anyone can help, as i am yet to have a large enough moult from any of them to sex from.

cheers sarah

:?

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
hi everyone.
this might seem like a dumb question, i kow how to sex spiders using a moult but are there any ways of tryin to sex a juvenile spiderling externally, i have heard of a few and i know none of these ways are guaranteed but i just want an idea of what i have, i have a juvenile red knee, brazilian black and a chile rose all between three and 6 cm in legspan , greatly appreciated if anyone can help, as i am yet to have a large enough moult from any of them to sex from.

cheers sarah

:?
Honestly, the only way to be sure is to sex the molts. I have a jeweler's loupe (a small, high magnification magnifying glass)that I've used to successfully sex the molts from a female B. smithi at just under an inch (2.5cm), a female A hentzi at around 1.25" (3cm), and a female B. vagans at around 1.5" (3.5-4cm). And I've confirmed all of these sexings with larger molts. So if I were you, I'd just pick up a jeweler's loupe. A good one should only cost $5 to $20 depending on where you buy it.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

just found this:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-MJ361830C-Jewelers-Loupe-30X/dp/B000PCCJYI

sarahsaz

Arachnopeon
ill have a look at puchasin one, my two smaller ones are due to shed shortly, its been a couple of months since they did, but im thinking the cold weather maybe affected that, and i know brachys are reluctant to shed anyway....

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ill have a look at puchasin one, my two smaller ones are due to shed shortly, its been a couple of months since they did, but im thinking the cold weather maybe affected that, and i know brachys are reluctant to shed anyway....
I'm curious why do you think brachys are reluctant to shed?