Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

sexing pandinus

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by blaž, Jun 5, 2008.

1. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    plz sex my 4 pandinus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i alsaw need to know how many years more do pandinus leave when they reach adulthood? i am asking this beacouse i have one "female" wich is adult for about 3 years now, and i alsaw have 2 subadult "males". now i am wondering if she will be still alive when they grow up and if she will be able to mate and have babies with them since gestation period lasts around a year?!

bye

2. BadBikaDamo

BadBikaDamo Arachnoknight

The first one looks to be female, judging by the genital partition being on the side of the pectines, the rest seem to be male. The pectine length may also back this up. The life span of an Emperor could be 8 - 10 yrs.

Damo

3. ~Androctonus~

~Androctonus~ Arachnoknight

N/A
    1- female,
    2- ?,
    3- male,
    4- male.

if you'll take better pic of the 2nd scorp's genital opeculum may i can sex it. it's look alike it was a little bit damaged - the trick of the pandinus is at the genital opeculum's shape. the females have down pointing, like heart, the males pointing a little bit up, and more roundish.

4. p.estudillo

p.estudillo Arachnopeon

They are all correct.
    1.female
    2.o.g is damage but based on the pectine teeth its male.
    3.male
    4.male

Congrats in breeding brother.:)

5. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

sh*t!!!
    are you all 100% about the sexes...dont look the lenght pectines of the first scorp beacouse they seem to be damaged, and the genital opening of the second scorp is alsaw damaged,there is only half of it left. That is not my folt i got them all in that condition.

well about the sexes...the one who sold them to me, said that there where two females and one male...:mad: :eek: well...i hope that my female will be still alive and well when the males decide to grow up and mate...what do you think is this posibile....as i already said she is adult for about three years now and the males need one more molt to adulthood and we must count the gestation period wich lasts for a year.!!!!
    So is it posibile that she gives me at least one brod of babies before she dies?!!:confused:

PS: i alsaw have 5 small spinifers... and i will post some pictures of them in the future so you can sex them to,qz you guys done such a good job sexing those scorps.
    thx for help...

PS: sorry if my english is bad but you have to understand that it isnt my mother toungue.:D
    bye bye;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Now for the bad news and following that some more bad news...

Okay now the best I can tell I will have to agree with the:
    1) Female
    2) Male
    3) Male
    4) Male
    suggestions.
    Here is a video I took of how to determine the gender of your Pandinus imperator (emperor) or Heterometrus (Asian forest scorp)

[YOUTUBE]cH4S44ekw5Q[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link to video

Now for the more bad news the last two Males have BAD mites around their book lungs, you better get that cleared up or they will soon die. :(

I thought it might have just been sand or something but it is evenly around each lung.

7. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

A good thing that you have a breeding pair. Too bad it's not 3 females and one male:( . Yeah like Thaedion said, you've got mites on at least 3 of them and probably on the one in the first pic too since they are on the rest. I don't know if it's been proven but I believe the thinking is that the mites might cause breathing problems for your scorps, that they may interfere somehow with breathing when they gather around the breathing organs, prob clogging. I think they may tend to gather around book lungs and spiracles on inverts because that's where there is a lot of moisture transfer, just doing some of my own guessing there. The mites try to avoid drying out when they go into that hypopus stage. Many centipedes I had years ago died as if slowly suffocating when they where overwhelmed by these mites, I didn't know what they were at the time. You can get them under control. I don't dry the animals and the substrate out yet some people do. Instead I don't over-feed and use isopods as a cleanup crew along with little armies of good mites. You can do a search on "grain mites", "hypopus stage", something like that and you will find a load of info.

8. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

On a personal opinion your last two scorps are gonna die soon. The last one especially has a bad case of mites. You might want to put those in an ICU where you remove the humidity for a while and hope they die off.

9. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

:8o :8o :8o well at least i have one female, lets just hope she will be still alive till then.
    theaedion, i saw your movie a time ago on you tube and found it very usefull sexing my spinifers.:clap:
    about the mite problem, when i bought my scorps the mites were already on them. So mites dont feed on scorps, like sucking the bodely fluids out of them, they just hang on and if they overcroud then the breathing dificulties came.
    i already tried to put this litle f*****s of when i first find them on my spinifers, but then i gave up. My cage is clean (i clean it every day, as a mather of fact i am about to clean it right now). The reason that 1 scorp dosnt have mites is probably beacouse she is not cept in the same terrarium with the males, and that is beacouse when i once put 3 males in her terrarium she attacked one and enjured him. So now they are separated. :eek: i hope she gets realy hormy when they grow up and that she wont do that again.!
    :drool:
    well looks like i got to do something about this mites.:?
    bye bye
    thx for help and warnings....:)

10. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

Ok here are my 5 spinifers. Plz sex them and tell me if they are really spinifers (they look more like scabers to me).

I would say female, true?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

female to?:?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

male
    [​IMG]

male 99,9%
    [​IMG]

male 99,9%
    [​IMG]

claws
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and pitures of "spinifers"....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS: i got to warn you that all the scorps are 2-3 molts from adulthood.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  11. bjaeger

bjaeger Arachnobaron

Eddy, I'm just wondering: How do you know if a scorp has mites? :?

12. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Look at the book lungs. You can see the first 2 pics are clean but the last two have these tiny grains-of-sand-looking things stuck and surrounding the lungs.
    -Eddy

13. There are two groups of mites you'll usually find, and in lay terms they are the 'good' ones and the 'bad' ones good ones move fast and are benificial to cleaning the tanks, the bad ones don't move and stick to your scorp and will kill them. The bad ones are tanninsh.

14. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

Can you plz look at the spinifer pictures and answer the questions.:8o :8o :eek:

15. blaž

blaž Arachnopeon

:( :8o :8o :8o :8o :(

16. Doctor_Grunge

Doctor_Grunge Arachnopeon

Hey man, I've never performed this, so maybe someone could confirm this for me, but I've heard of talcum powder being applied to mite infested areas of the animal in small amounts with a paintbrush to kill mites on tarantulas. I agree that the humidity should be reduced, and you will want to make sure NO dead prey items remain in the cage. You might consider separating them into small utilitarian-set-up containers so you can easily clean the container and monitor the conditions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.