Sexing my emperors

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Alright i bought a pair of mature emperors form a local pet shop when i looked at them in the pet shop one looked to be male and the other looked to be female. So now i am all confused and not sure now maybe you guys could give me a hand :)

Male:

Female:

Ok now i am going to post another pic of the "female" :

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both look male to me. I am relatively new at sexing scorpions though. But if one of them had to be female I think it would be the first picture would be the female. But they still both look male to me.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
your sexing is correct first one is male the other 2 pics are of a female

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you definetly have a pair mate:) the female has a larger opening between the pectines and the pectines look smaller in the females picture than the one on the males

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Alright, my next question is I cant get those guys to mate.. I've tried taking the male out for a week and put him back with nothing he doesn't even try..I did the same thing with the female, I took her out for a week and put her in and still nothing, like they have no interest in each other. That's why I tried to re-sex them.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would just put an extra hide in the females enclosure(that is if its a big enough container) and let the male live in there, this is a species that usually tolerates other scorpions arround it and can live in a way communaly.He will eventually get it on once he settles in and the conditions are right. Also they might not be fully mature yet.
Please keep in mind this was just a suggestion and that there is allways a chance things could also go wrong so its up to you.
This is just what i would do

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just noticed your female is preety floppy on the sides, Fat scorpions or any animal usually are not good breeders. Now yours could be just fat or maybe she allready mated from before you got her:D

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Well i only have one enclosure, i figure they'll live in there and when the female looks fatter ill take her out and put her in a different enclosure until she has the babies, here is a pic of her.

Last edited:

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
the above picture

do you think she is gravid in that above picture? that was taking the same day as the rest of the sexing pictures let me know what ya think :) BTW thanks alot

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree on the male, 2 female pics 100%

I don't see any embryos from that pic though it could be in an early stage of pregnancy. I don't have great eyes for it though, but the embryos are pretty noticeable from the right angle once they grow large enough. If they get along ok then leave them in the same pen til you see a definitive sign she is gravid. If they have separate hides they will most likely be ok until she starts getting defensive. There is a good chance if the pet store kept them together or even the dealer the store bought em from then she has already mated. I've saved a few gravid P. imperator from places like Petco because they didn't know or care that it was gravid, I look at it as buying like 10-20 scorpions for the price of one {D.

She also may have given birth before being given to the pet store, still though 1 spermatophore/mating can produce multiple births over a few years time.

Gestation is normally about 9-10 months time.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
I agree on the male, 2 female pics 100%

I don't see any embryos from that pic though it could be in an early stage of pregnancy. I don't have great eyes for it though, but the embryos are pretty noticeable from the right angle once they grow large enough. If they get along ok then leave them in the same pen til you see a definitive sign she is gravid. If they have separate hides they will most likely be ok until she starts getting defensive. There is a good chance if the pet store kept them together or even the dealer the store bought em from then she has already mated. I've saved a few gravid P. imperator from places like Petco because they didn't know or care that it was gravid, I look at it as buying like 10-20 scorpions for the price of one {D.

She also may have given birth before being given to the pet store, still though 1 spermatophore/mating can produce multiple births over a few years time.

Gestation is normally about 9-10 months time.
Alright i only had them for a few months. so i guess ill see in juneish if she is :) that's a long time lol

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
so this 'Areola' type thing around the pectin or genital opeculum, is called the opeculum? yeah i think thats a sure tell way to sex them including the pectins, look at the opeculum then the pectins.

male is like a V shaped

and female is almost more like a Heart

including the smaller pectins, her big hipped body, is also curvy basically. more feminine looking creature, while he looks athletic and slim, masculine.