Sexing my Amblypygid?

silverfish

Arachnopeon
I took a photo of the underside of my Amblypygi (Damon Medius) last night, is there a way to tell the sex of it by this photo? I know some female spiders have an epigyne, is that what I’m seeing on it’s lower body there? Or is the only way to tell from a molt?

Thanks

91CEF95C-5641-4C2C-B58E-3009F18612E9.jpeg

silverfish

Arachnopeon
In Phrynicidae, red hairs on operculum = female.
This is a lady.
Thank you, I assumed this was a female at first honestly, due to pedipalp size & overall body size, but just wanted to make sure.
Could you elaborate though, on where you see the red hairs? What is the operculum? I've just never heard that term before

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you, I assumed this was a female at first honestly, due to pedipalp size & overall body size, but just wanted to make sure.
Could you elaborate though, on where you see the red hairs? What is the operculum? I've just never heard that term before
On your photo, start in the middle of the cephalothorax where all the legs come together (surrounding that sort of bootprint looking imprint). Staying in the middle of the body, follow that down onto the abdomen and the red hairs are about a third of the way down on the abdominal segments that we can see. The operculum (genital opening) is the vaguely M-shaped structure just above the hairs.